Hyperdeck Shuttle HD - getting FTP'd files to show as clips

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Alan Jump

Hyperdeck Shuttle HD - getting FTP'd files to show as clips

PostTue May 17, 2022 2:28 am

I'm having a serious "operator headspace error". I picked up the Hyperdeck Shuttle HD with the planned use case of loading prerecorded clips from other sources, unedited, and then using it as a source for an ATEM Mini Pro to conduct online training sessions. The fly in the serum is that, no matter what file format the original video is in when it's put onto the (checked and supported) SD card, the clips don't appear as available from the ATEM software control panel.

The original files are in H.264, 1080p @ 30 fps. I've tried transcoding them to every listed codec in the manual, and still, the only clips I can get to appear in the list are ones recorded directly by the Hyperdeck via the HDMI input.

Am I missing something really, really obvious? Or is this unit not going to meet my use case?

Jack Fairley

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle HD - getting FTP'd files to show as cl

PostTue May 17, 2022 6:54 pm

Hyperdecks are very choosy about what media they will play. If you search the forum, someone may have already figured out encoding settings for h264, as has been done with ProRes/DNxHR flavors.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Eric-Jan

PostTue May 17, 2022 9:26 pm

maybe name them like the shuttle itself does ?

metadata some where that could give a clue ?
I will also look into this on my Hyperdeck Shuttle HD, i've managed to record from a VHS recorder through a HDMI (cheap) scaler

What i've noticed when changing recording resolution, other files are not available for playback.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Alan Jump

PostThu May 19, 2022 3:11 am

Followup - I have succeeded in getting my first test FTP file to show in the ATEM control software as a clip. The secret sauce was to tell Resolve 17 Pro to render it as 1080p60HD using ProRes422HQ. It's the only selection I've found so far that works, which still puzzles me considering the number of video and file formats shown in the manual.

I'll be testing that render choice with output files from other planned sources, just to be sure, but since Resolve seems to happily ingest just about anything I might throw its way, I think I can mark this as a closed question.

Some time later...

Aaaand it didn't work. Or more accurately, it only works with source material recorded in 1080p30 or 1080p60. If the source is 1080p24, no joy with any of the supposedly "supported" codecs.

Time to try another approach.

Eric-Jan

PostSat May 21, 2022 4:03 pm

My guess it's a glitch, in, that when you only use the same codec and resolution on one storage media, all's well, i noticed it's something other Hyperdecks also have.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Alan Jump

PostSat May 21, 2022 6:04 pm

More experimentation and testing has revealed something unexpected.

The transcoded files ARE being recognized. But only one clip is showing up in the ATEM menu, no matter what. I discovered that when I disconnected power to move my equipment around on my desk, then reconnected power and opened up the software. The same two files were on the SD card as before, but the one that was showing in the menu was the one that I couldn't get to appear before, and the one I knew was good had vanished from the menu.

So...any idea why only one clip is playable? Or is this the intended design? If the latter, it's incredibly limiting.

Alan Jump

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 2:00 am

Final observation, and what's been learned.

To get FTP'd clips to appear in the menu, all uploaded clips must be encoded exactly the same, to include frame rate. If there are four ProRes422HQ files, but three are in 1080p at 24fps and one is 1080p at 30fps, the file with the alphabetically first name will appear, and if it's a 24fps file, its companions will also be listed.

The short-term workaround is to keep separate SD cards for each codec/frame rate combination and swap them as needed during the playback portions of a planned show. Good thing SD cards are relatively inexpensive.

Ideally, there will be a future firmware fix which allows mixing and matching codecs and frame rates, but that may be asking too much at this price point.

We can call this issue closed. For real, this time.

Asgeir Hustad

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 6:55 am

Alan Jump wrote:The short-term workaround is to keep separate SD cards for each codec/frame rate combination and swap them as needed during the playback portions of a planned show. Good thing SD cards are relatively inexpensive.

Why wouldn't you transcode all playback items to a known good format before transmitting over to the SD card / Hyperdeck via FTP?

Jack Fairley

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 5:47 pm

Alan Jump wrote:Ideally, there will be a future firmware fix which allows mixing and matching codecs and frame rates, but that may be asking too much at this price point.

If I remember correctly, the decks actually reboot with different parameters when changing framerates, similarly to the cameras.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Alan Jump

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 1:35 am

Asgeir Hustad wrote:
Why wouldn't you transcode all playback items to a known good format before transmitting over to the SD card / Hyperdeck via FTP?

I tried that. No joy. It only showed the alphabetical first file.

Howard Roll

PostSat Jul 09, 2022 3:51 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:
Alan Jump wrote:Ideally, there will be a future firmware fix which allows mixing and matching codecs and frame rates, but that may be asking too much at this price point.

If I remember correctly, the decks actually reboot with different parameters when changing framerates, similarly to the cameras.

Which is perfectly reasonable behavior. How is the deck expected to output multiple rates and resolutions in sequence? What would be the use case? Doesn't make any sense. The destination would be falling over itself resyncing (if even an option) to the new input res with each change.

If the ask is for an onboard scaler that's one thing but then why render out different resolutions and rates to begin with.

Good Luck

Return to Getting Started