Hyperdeck Shuttle HD > Aspect Ratio

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Eric-Jan

Hyperdeck Shuttle HD > Aspect Ratio

PostSat May 21, 2022 4:13 pm

I'm also using this Hyperdeck for transferring VHS to MP4 or ProRes, by using a cheap AV to HDMI scaler connecting to the Hyperdeck Shuttle HD, only the output is in 720p and makes 4:3 fill into the 16:9 screen, the scaler has no options for this, is there a way i can change this "live" into 4:3 Aspect Ratio ? or set a bit for it, without re-encoding ? (MpegStreamclip does not accept the BMD files)
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Denny Smith

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle HD > Aspect Ratio

PostSun May 22, 2022 2:27 am

Eric, the Shuttle HD is primarily a recorder and media player for ATEM Mini! It Supports H.264, ProRes or DNxHD files on SD/UHS-II cards or USB disks. It auto detects SD/HD signals and records them in the format being output by the video source. There isn’t scaling features in this unit that I can see. Take a look at the instruction manual for details.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostSun May 22, 2022 12:09 pm

I was afraid of that… I will do some more research, I'm happy with it, it's a great addition for my Atem Mini,
it does do even more then i suspected.
For transferring my own VHS tapes i have a Panasonic DMR-ES35V which gives already good results with the Intensity Shuttle (TB2) the VCR outputs also over component in i or p , i can't see much difference between that and composite, in theory, should the component output be the best one to use ? or it just an re arranged composite signal ?
The "folder" says it supports PAL and NTSC does this mean it supports 576i and 480i at the HDMI input ?
because i only see 720 and 1080 mentioned.
TIA
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Eric-Jan

PostMon May 23, 2022 12:03 am

Succes! trying a component to HDMI scaler in between vcr and Hyperdeck Shuttle HD, correctly captures the aspect ratio now, 625i at YUV component input becomes 576i at the HDMI output, which is nicely recorded by the Hyperdeck Shuttle HD. (NTSC becomes 480i)

Denny Smith

PostThu May 26, 2022 6:36 pm

A scaler is the way to go. Glad you got it sorted.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 9:14 pm

I'm still a bit confused, but that's mainly because of the cheap scalers i use i guess…
The one i thought was good enough, isn't…... though it can be set to different settings by select knobs….
Now, i've found one scaler that does a good job, but i can only use it with component as source, composite as video signal just gives a lot of trouble to work with, My VHS recorder combo, outputs 625i50 over its component YUV output, while the VHS deck/part is playing, this into my component to HDMI scaler(?) gives 625i50 on the 5" BMD Video Assist monitor/recorder (in the upper bar info) The UltraStudio Mini Recorder gives a false color result, when captured on my MacBookPro, i guess that's a RGB/YUV conflict like on the first HDMI port of the Atem Mini…..
setting the VHS deck (Panasonic DMR-ES35V) on 625p50 gives good colors, but gives a slight diagonal lines patern over the image.
So, using the Video Assist, or the Hyperdeck Shuttle HD gives the only good results with this component to HDMI converter/scaler(?)
My question now is, would it be better to use the BMD Analog to SDI converter > Video Assist ?
Will the Video Assist get a 625i50 signal on/in SDI ? capture will be done by an all BMD hardware setup this way,
and not upscaled by the BMD Analog to SDI i hope...

Denny Smith

PostFri Jun 10, 2022 1:51 am

If the analog component signal is 625i50, the SDI conversion signal should also be 655i50. This has been my experience with the BND Analog to SDI converter. It has little dip switches for setting the analog input to different types, including composite, Y/C or component. Get the switches set correctly and the converter does a good job. I used it to get a long SDI feed from a Canon XL2 video camera to a video switcher for recording a live feed. I haven’t tried using it for tape to disk conversions, interesting idea. I have a TBC that converts analog tape recorder outputs (composite and component, including Y/C.

Eric, If you decide to try this, I have the Y/C to BNC adapters you will need, as the Analog to SDI uses BNC connections only. Drop me a PM, and I can ship gpa couple to you for postage cost. I am in USA SanFrancisco area. International small package rate is around 20.00, using a PayPal invoice. These are professional quality adapters that give you the correct Y/C output to BNC from the Y/C DIN connector. A RCA push connector to BNC should be easy to source in EU, but the Y/C DIN to BNC adapters are harder to find these days. Drop me a PM.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostFri Jun 10, 2022 4:42 pm

For the SDI output i ordered also a Blackmagic Din 1.0/2.3 to BNC Male cable at the same (Dutch) web shop, the BNC male - RCA will be also no problem, i checked with a local shop for that.
The ES35V vcr combo with component video output works allready perfect with my Intensity Shuttle, which other vcr's fail in, (over composite) i guess i had just luck with the ES35V.
So i'm aiming for an all hardware VHS capture, because with a computer it gets harder, each time an operating system gets updated, and hardware interfaces also change each time with the updated computer hardware,
external recorders seem a better option now, speed and amount of storage are better, +dedicated features.
Attachments
blackmagic-din-1-0-2-3-to-bnc-male-cable.jpg
blackmagic-din-1-0-2-3-to-bnc-male-cable.jpg (15.24 KiB) Viewed 3311 times

Eric-Jan

PostSat Jun 11, 2022 3:57 pm

I can report it's working fine, VCR >>> BMD Analog to SDI > Video Assist > SD flash storage
For now i left dipswitches on default, i'll check if i need to change IRE at all…(black level?)
Seeing (too?) much detail, likely to disappear when compressing in post…
Will later put Hyperdeck Shuttle HD on HDMI from Video Assist, for (any?) difference in quality, also keeping quality of original VHS recording at face value.
Putting the Hyperdeck Shuttle HD at the end of my convert/transfer "train" will add the h.264 codec for doing the transfer in one go, knowing this will be done at CBR…
I will also try if things "work out" with a regular VHS VCR over composite and s-video, i don't expect too much of that, without an TBC…
Also, i guess the BMD Intensity Shuttle is the only BMD device that can capture PAL also in progressive (625p50)
the ES35V can be set to that on it's video component output, setting progressive does not come out correctly on my new setup, i see two narrow (and darker) images within the 4:3 recording space (also on the screen itself)
I guess the Studio version of Davinci Resolve is a good option to de-interlace 625i50.
using the BMD Intensity Shuttle i could capture straight into 625p50 although doing in post would give a better result is my guess, (A workhorse MBP M1 Max 32GB ram comes into mind… :) )

edit< As expected, a regular (Sharp) VHS vcr gives lots of dropped frames, but does captures signal, where the Intensity Shuttle just don't show any image. so i stick with my ES35V.

Return to Getting Started