Ultrastudio recorder 3g black screen Mac mini m1 Monterey

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Deviotech

Ultrastudio recorder 3g black screen Mac mini m1 Monterey

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 8:36 pm

Hello, all!
I just received an Ultrastudio Recorder 3g and was excited to set it up and do some novel video capture from my Roland Edirol V4/V1 or straight from an old security camera I have with BNC output for music video work. Sadly, none of these are working correctly and I'm wondering if I've wasted my money. I went through the step by step with permissions and all of the relevant security issues that need to be bypassed on Apple Silicon to be able to use the device, and it shows up in both OBS and Media Express, but it's just a black screen. I've tried setting it on auto-detect for OBS and also clicked through the list of available resolutions with no luck. I initially had it plugged into my OWC thunderbolt 4 hub but I read elsewhere that hubs aren't supported for whatever reason, so I changed it to direct connection and this also did not help.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd love to hear them. I was hoping that I could do direct capture and then upscale the results to at least 1080p24 but I'll settle for any result at all at the moment. I'm on driver 12.3 and I'll attach the status report from time of this writing. thanks in advance!

Blackmagic Design System Report.jpg
Blackmagic Design System Report.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 3855 times

Deviotech

Re: Ultrastudio recorder 3g black screen Mac mini m1 Montere

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 1:40 pm

Alright so upon further research, “sdi” is a type of digital signal, and not “standard definition input” like I thought. I’ve ordered an s-video to hdmi upscaler box and am hoping that works out ok and that I haven’t fried this box by feeding an unstable analog input or two into a digital input.

Eric-Jan

Re: Ultrastudio recorder 3g black screen Mac mini m1 Montere

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 10:10 pm

Serial Digital Interface :) i guess you should check for all the devices max frame rates and in which mode, interlaced or progressive, some do not go further than 30p/i
all devices are compatible with both OS and M1 chip i guess ?
Sometimes only interlaced is accepted, a scaler could be a solution, but first check the specs…

btw. PSF is a kind of adaptive "thingy" between interlaced and progressive, which is currently switched off i see….
btw. the camera is not just a camera "head" only ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started