Clips Stolen by Cloud

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jamescarvin

Clips Stolen by Cloud

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 3:44 pm

If this has been discussed here before, I can't find it and it may be more of a cloud storage issue, than a Davinci Resolve problem. But I successfully rendered and uploaded my video to YouTube yesterday. Then this morning, I noticed a typo and a sound problem that would be easy fixes. So I re-rendered it after making the edits but got an error message. Then, I retried and got a warning that some clips were missing. So I guessed I must have moved some files out of the folder they were imported from. But it turns out that was untrue. The files were in the same place as before all named the same. The problem seems to be that they were being sent to the cloud. I could see cloud upload signs on the folders and when I went to reimport them to Davinci Resolve, many of the files could not be selected. Apparently they were in the process of being reuploaded to the cloud.

So, my technical issue seems to relate to the cloud. Honestly, I get confused about it. I took the images from my iPhone. I never know where all those images are actually stored. Then I use air drop to transfer them to my MacBook Pro, as these devices have no USB ports. Then I convert my HEIC files to jpeg. They all seem to work fine and I successfully uploaded my project with all the clip files just where they were. See here ...

But this morning, see this ...

So for cloud storage, I've got OneDrive. I think the object is to spare my devices storage space and make files shareable between them. I didn't realize DaVinci Resolve wouldn't interface to track where files were being automatically transferred cloudwise. I guess I'd be fine if they were already in the cloud when I imported them to DaVinci, but since I was operating faster than cloud upload speed in creating the project, I suspect that is what has caused the problem.

Is there a way to prevent this sort of thing from happening? My project deadline is 10/7. There was a glaring typo and the sound level on one of the clips was intolerable. It's all fixed, but now the other files have been moved and others are in the process of moving all with minds of their own.
Very new and need a lot of help

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Clips Stolen by Cloud

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 8:38 am

Clips stored on most cloud share storage systems don't guarantee that the clips in the local computers disk are indexed in a way thats static, which means that if they are indexed differently by the cloud sync tool then Resolve may not know where they are.

If you make all your clips that you need local, you should be able to use Resolve to relink to them, assuming there are no other changes to them, like file name or duration etc.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

jamescarvin

PostFri Oct 14, 2022 4:08 pm

This seems reasonable. Now I just have to figure out how to stop the cloud from moving select files.

Also, I am using the free version. If I upgrade to the studio version, does this problem go away?
Very new and need a lot of help

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 19, 2022 2:53 am

Hi James

This is not a Studio vs free issue. This is not even a Resolve issue. It's a "different systems with cloud" issue.

OneDrive - and other cloud storage systems - map to different folders on each machine, use different rules to determine which files to make available offline, sometimes even how/where to store them (as files and folders? as libraries?).

Resolve just looks for an expected local path. It treats local folders, cloud mapped folders, USB disks, network mounts, Airdrop folders etc the same. As Peter says, making the files available offline is a good start. Not overwriting/replacing/moving the file when Resolve is working with the clip is a second step.

In the reference manual (DaVinci Resolve's help menu), you can search for some starting points.

"Offline clips" - specifically, the edit index and media pool smart bins can help you filter for offline clips and offline files, and take action on missing or moved clips.
"media storage path mapping" - useful when using shared storage and shared projects.
"render cache path" and "proxy path" - If you use caches or proxies, search for these and consider if path mapping or other tricks make sense in your workflow.

Regards
Shrinivas

wsimpson

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 7:12 pm

Just to follow up on this topic - can you tell me if this sounds right?

I should upload all media to a cloud drive, like OneDrive
Then I should share that folder with my collaborators
Each collaborator should install the OneDrive app, connect to the shared folder, and synchronize the folder to their local computer
Each collaborator should add their local folder of the shared cloud content in DaVinci Resolve in Preferences / System / Media Storage
In the cloud project that I have shared with my collaborators, I can relink media to the local folder of the cloud content until everything looks right on my computer

At that point anyone who opens the cloud project will see media properly (not Missing Media errors) as the links to the local versions of the shared cloud content will be in the same folder structure.

Have I got that right?
Wallace Simpson

Return to DaVinci Resolve