Thunderbolt UltraStudio 4K Mini

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

WorrypasCanada

Thunderbolt UltraStudio 4K Mini

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 11:58 pm

Hello, my employer recently spent $4000 on a new HP computer, to convert, and render our archival video collections. Regretfully, our UltraStudio 4K Mini isn’t being detected by BlackMagic Desktop Video. Apparently our Thunderbolt 3 adapter may not be compatible. Even if we can use this PC to render our videos, I still need a computer to convert our videos. To probably eliminate a guessing game, we've decided to invest in an M1 Apple Computer, such as the Mac Mini, Mac Studio Max or Ultra. This said, what processing power do we need? We don't need new barriers, but we don't want to overkill what we need. Thanks.

Steve Fishwick

Re: Thunderbolt UltraStudio 4K Mini

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 9:09 pm

No problems here with the Ultrastudio 4K Mini on a HP ZBook workstation and it's Thunderbolt dock, in both Avid and Resolve, whereas I know there are currently issues with Avid and M1, Max etc. Macs and BMD I/O hardware. If your HP is a desktop, I would look to see if you have the correct Thunderbolt card installed and on the right slot. Or, make sure you have removed all TB security restrictions in bios.

Alternatively, if it is a desktop, I would buy a Decklink card, which is faster with PCIe than TB; normal for these in professional facilities and much cheaper than having to buy a new Mac computer.

Return to Getting Started