Dedicated USB Out for recording with ATEM Mini Pro

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

rickaltman

Dedicated USB Out for recording with ATEM Mini Pro

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 4:51 am

Hello, I am exploring upgrading from the ATEM Mini to the Mini Pro because I want to be able to record video directly from the unit. But something is mystifying me.

My Mini (non Pro) has the four HDMI inputs, one HDMI output, and the "Webcam Out," which I send into my PC so that it can be a video source for Zoom, etc. I record from the unit by routing the HDMI out into a capture device, which adds variables and signal loss into the equation. I would prefer to avoid that.

My understanding is that the Mini Pro offers "direct recording to USB flash disks," which is exactly what I want, but I don't see how it is done. When inspecting the units on line, the back of the Mini Pro replaces the "Webcam Out" jack with a "USB out" -- is that how I would record to USB? If so, it comes at the expense of a way to route the signal into my PC, and that is no good. I need both!

What am I missing here...?

codedeltajames

Re: Dedicated USB Out for recording with ATEM Mini Pro

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 11:24 am

rickaltman wrote:What am I missing here...?

The ATEM Mini Extreme (+ variations) - they have two USB-C ports to allow you to use the webcam function at the same time as the recording function.

You are correct that the ATEM Mini Pro (+ variations) can only do one or the other at any one time due to only having the one USB-C port.

rickaltman

Re: Dedicated USB Out for recording with ATEM Mini Pro

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 3:26 pm

codedeltajames wrote:You are correct that the ATEM Mini Pro (+ variations) can only do one or the other at any one time due to only having the one USB-C port.

That's a pity; the Extreme is too expensive and has too large of a physical footprint. I wish there were a unit with two USB outs in the Mini Pro footprint. Oh well...back to my capture device...thank you...

Return to Getting Started