So the ATEM mini does or does not have multiview?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jibun no kage

So the ATEM mini does or does not have multiview?

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 9:48 pm

So the ATEM mini does or does not have multiview? I have seen in the BM documentation, "All ATEM models have multiview." However, I see neither and M/V button on the ATEM mini (not Pro), and in the ATEM Software Control under settings I see no tab entitled "Multiview." Maybe the documentation is just an error?

Eric-Jan

Re: So the ATEM mini does or does not have multiview?

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 10:02 am

Well... the Atem mini does not get mentioned anywhere in the flyer/usermanual of BMD, The ethernet connection of the ATEM mini has no streaming functionality only supports remote control for the ATEM software, so it had served it's purpouse as appetizer for the next generations of "not so mini" follow up versions, which is confusing/sad, it's the same for the 5" Video Assist,(with still the mini-USB connection) that pre-dates the 3G version, I hope it doesn't have any effect on firmware updates, because you have somewhere the 32/64bit "border" of the OS, which is a hinderance on the MAC OS, not so on the Window$ OS i guess…
Never saw any statement for the ATEM mini of being discontinued, would also be nice, because it has no use to do any ATEM software updates for the ATEM mini.

I regret buying the Atem Mini, because the Atomos Ninja V,(records also in stand alone config in 4K) in combination with their X-Cast, has the most important features, also an option for an external multiview monitor, is very compact, has picture in picture, also overlays logo's by PNG's and also syncs different framerates on the 4 inputs into one at the output HDMI(s) so checkout the features you really need, and then decide to search for a bare mini model ?
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 1:42 pm

Atem Mini HDMI is even discontinued ;) Its not on the website anymore!

Atem SDI ( cheapest model ) also has NO multiviewer. And the reason behind it is because the cheapest models are meant for Game streamers. Setting up there game, live camera, some overlays and stream it to Twitch or YT... ( Instead of OBS ) ;)

It was never meant as a real live switcher and so never needed a Multiview out. Hence the thing is super duper CHEAP.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Eric-Jan

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 10:28 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Atem Mini HDMI is even discontinued ;) Its not on the website anymore!

Atem SDI ( cheapest model ) also has NO multiviewer. And the reason behind it is because the cheapest models are meant for Game streamers. Setting up there game, live camera, some overlays and stream it to Twitch or YT... ( Instead of OBS ) ;)

It was never meant as a real live switcher and so never needed a Multiview out. Hence the thing is super duper CHEAP.

Strange.. i can't remember that the promotional videos from BlackMagic Design, about the ATEM mini, talked about "Game streamers" the examples shown, were about Vloggers and their Youtube channel, they did show how to use the ATEM mini in use with Live Productions, cheap ATEM mini models with SDI also have no use for "Game streamers"
The ATEM mini was to fill in the gap for people that only could use video equipment that have the HDMI video connection(s) Like said, the "Game streamers" used OBS and did not need the many features the ATEM mini had.
Only after many complaints from the vlogging Youtubers, improvements came in firmware and software updates, and the newer models. BlackMagic Design is more about video hardware, and not about "Game streamers"
Also….. the products of BlackMagic Design are better supported on the APPLE platform, great advantage of this also is the use of ProRes422 codec(s)
True, in this time and age you don't need to think about of buying the ATEM mini, it depends now, if you need SDI or not, otherwise there are other options to choose from, and not necessary from BlackMagic Design….
And yes, it stays confusing in the BMD documents, to find out which model has which features, they put it on a pile.
So if one wants to know at which software update/firmware a certain model was still supported, it gets complicated.
My advise would be check for use cases on the BMD forums, or also …..just on Youtube
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

jibun no kage

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 11:56 pm

Everyone, thanks for the insights and observations. I few of my own...

I have used the mini for a while (in the past), but our work horse is the Extreme ISO right now. We use the mini once in a while for ad-hoc shoots where we can't stage everything due to space or logistics issues, or even short notice projects once in a while. The plan is to go to the 4K TV Pro, that of course is SDI, which frankly I prefer over HDMI. The times we have had HDMI cables just go flake on us... but I digress.

We are also moving away from vMix after leaving OBS... OBS was unstable for us, and vMix likes to crash if you doing too much tweaking of things in the various editors while live streaming and local recording. Our vMix system is robust, we barely push it, but vMix gets all kinds of unhanded exceptions, got to love .NET and Microsoft.

I am currently working on replicating just about everything we do in vMix for LTs and such in ProPresenter, not a fan of the limited media handling in the ATEM Extreme, we just need more dynamic LT flexibility than most. We do a lot of live streaming, so using the Extreme ISO to stream and record is nice, got to have those local ISO sources.

Eric-Jan

PostFri Jun 16, 2023 7:14 pm

Since the Extreme ISO is the "workhorse" i see no reason for the mini to have multiview….
or did i miss something ? the mini is just a sub switcher in your case…
Mixing HDMI equipment with ISO equipment seems also not a good choice, due to the lag of HDMI..
It's not that strange the mini is discontinued….. it has served it's purpouse.

Return to Live Production