UltraStudio Mini Recorders Not Recognized

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jfredson

UltraStudio Mini Recorders Not Recognized

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 6:13 am

I just bought a couple UltraStudio Mini Recorders and I can't seem to get my PC to recognize them. I've got a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, i7-9700K with a Gigabyte Titan Ridge thunderbolt card that the Mini Recorders are plugged in to.

I've downloaded the Desktop Video Setup app but it just says "No Device Video Device Detected". Is there something else I need to do to get these capture cards working?

I've also installed the Gigabyte Titan Ridge drivers, but I don't have any other thunderbolt devices to test that the card is working.

Do you have any tips for how I might troubleshoot this so that I can get my Mini Recorder capture cards working?

Thanks!

jfredson

Re: UltraStudio Mini Recorders Not Recognized

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 10:40 pm

I've done a ton more troubleshooting with no luck. Here is what I see in my Thunderbolt app and the Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup app with my Nikon D750 turn on in Live View mode and connected via HDMI cable to my Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder which is connected to my Titan Ridge thunderbolt card on my PC.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong that is causing my camera to now show up in the Desktop Video app?

Robert Niessner

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Gigabyte Titan Ridge is Thunderbolt 3 and UltraStudio Mini Recorder is Thunderbolt 2.

And the UltraStudio Mini Recorder is bus powered by Thunderbolt - so I am not sure if this works out as intended.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

jfredson

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 11:05 pm

Oh man, that's a bummer. Is there a new Blackmagic product that would enable me to connect my camera to my computer using the Titan Ridge thunderbolt card?

pastorjohn

PostSun Mar 08, 2020 10:13 pm

I am getting the same issue. running os catalina 10.15.3. Have an ultrastudio minirecorder device. Have a Canon Vixiak HFr800 that i have confirmed into a tv and showed picture, so I know it's working. Have uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooting. Went into general settings and privacy\security, but there's nothing for me to approve (nor did I get any sort of notice when installing). Have a compatible cable. Any ideas?

Eric-Jan

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 9:09 pm

Why focus on Thunderbold ? there is a great choice of some BMD PCI cards that give you HDMI or SDI interfacing, Thunderbold is mainly a Apple solution for video on their laptops, is the way i see it, as a follow up for a better USB replacement.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

pastorjohn

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 9:16 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:Why focus on Thunderbold ? there is a great choice of some BMD PCI cards that give you HDMI or SDI interfacing, Thunderbold is mainly a Apple solution for video on their laptops, is the way i see it, as a follow up for a better USB replacement.

because that's the output of the video card that I have, and the open ports on the imac (only option) are usb-c (thunderbolt 3). And because I currently have the ultralink mini and am not going to spend more money on something else.

Eric-Jan

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 9:36 am

pastorjohn wrote:
Eric-Jan wrote:Why focus on Thunderbold ? there is a great choice of some BMD PCI cards that give you HDMI or SDI interfacing, Thunderbold is mainly a Apple solution for video on their laptops, is the way i see it, as a follow up for a better USB replacement.

because that's the output of the video card that I have, and the open ports on the imac (only option) are usb-c (thunderbolt 3). And because I currently have the ultralink mini and am not going to spend more money on something else.

Sorry, but my answer is for John Fredrickson, you should start your own thread.

btw. USB-C is not the same as Thunderbold 3.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Eric-Jan

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 10:40 pm

goran diffner wrote:I have the GA Alpine Ridge TB card on a a Z270 GA motherboard running OS X and a Mini recorder with the Apple TB converter to newer TB specs working ok. The Mini recorder and cable+converter also works with a Lenovo Y720 Win10 laptop. So there should be ways to get up to latest TB standard.

The Intensity Pro Pcie card works really good too if you need options but there are mostly used ones avaliable now.

I Guess there is the follow-up for that, the 4K version, it has also HDMI (in/out) and the breakout cable option for analog video.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nsitypro4k

Eric-Jan

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 5:15 pm

goran diffner wrote:Yes it got replaced with a 4k version. When it first was released the fan on it was a little loud but I believe they fixed that.

How can you tell when you buy a "fixed" version somewhere ?

Eric-Jan

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 3:13 pm

goran diffner wrote:
Eric-Jan wrote:
goran diffner wrote:Yes it got replaced with a 4k version. When it first was released the fan on it was a little loud but I believe they fixed that.

How can you tell when you buy a "fixed" version somewhere ?

What?

when you want buy the 4K PCI version in a webshop or a store, can you see the difference between the "loud" 1st rellease, and the later "fixed" version, or is this a gamble ?

Return to Getting Started