Blackmagic Intensity Extreme + Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

kazarnowicz

Blackmagic Intensity Extreme + Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering whether anyone has managed to get the Blackmagic Intensity Extreme to work with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. We're currently using the Intensity Extreme with a Macbook Air to capture video from iPads and iPhones, and this is working well. However, connecting a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.0, which also has HDMI out, doesn't seem to work. No matter what frame rate I set the Intensity Extreme to work at, nothing shows up in Blackmagic Media Express. The screen is black.

Any thoughts of ideas would be greatly appreciated.

- Mike Kazarnowicz

Albert Chu

Blackmagic Design

Re: Blackmagic Intensity Extreme + Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 4:04 am

Hello Mike,

We have not had a chance to test with a capture from a Galaxy Note yet. Have you been able to test capture from any other video sources just to verify that the Intensity Extreme does work, but just not with the Galaxy Note?

Maybe HDMI from a camera or camcorder?

Also, what resolution and frame rate is the Galaxy set to output at?

Are you able to lock the output resolution and frame rate of the Galaxy?

Do keep in mind that the source must be outputting a supported resolution and frame rate in order for Intensity Extreme to see the signal.
Albert Chu

Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

kazarnowicz

PostThu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi Albert,

Yes, the Intensity Extreme is working welll, we use it all the time to capture video on the iPad. I've been trying to find information about the Samsung Galaxy tablet and it seems like it's outputting 1080p at 30 fps (same settings as for the iPad). I've tried choosing different frame rates and resolutions, but it doesn't show up.

The Galaxy seems to be recognizing that it's got an output cable connected, but it doesn't have any settings to control it.

I'll try to play around a bit more and see if I can get it to work. I'll get back if I do.

- Mike

Aries Santos

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi,

Mike, we're on the same boat. Our plasma display accepted the HDMI signal of the Galaxy note, and
identified it as 1080i 60 hz. We've tried all the HD input settings on our Ultrastudio 3d and two
intensity pros, to no avail.

Any inputs from the Blackmagic guys?

- Aries

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi Mike and Aries,

It's quite possible that the Galaxy Note outputs HDCP from its HDMI port, which if that were the case, our hardware would not be able to accept that flagged signal. A number of Android phones and tablets I've come across output HDCP, and I'm not aware of any way to turn this off (without modifying the device, that is, and I don't recommend it). Your monitors will display the signal because they are designed to accept it and the signal typically terminates at the monitor.

Because you're able to input other signals to your capture devices, my best guess is that the signal is HDCP-encrypted.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 6:44 pm

And it's worth mentioning that if you are playing any sort of media the output will almost definitely be encrypted. Maybe not the UI, but say running Netflix or Hulu the output will definitely encrypt.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to Getting Started