Will latest Ultrastudio Mini Recorder run on High Sierra?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

KarelBata

Will latest Ultrastudio Mini Recorder run on High Sierra?

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 10:30 am

Hi,

Awaiting Amazon delivery of Ultrastudio mini. I need to run Mac OS High Sierra because of some other progs.

I notice the tech spec page blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/ultrastudio/techspecs/W-DLUS-04 says "Mac 10.14 Mojave, Mac 10.15 Catalina or later." :cry:

Does that mean I'm screwed? Or do I have to use some currently out-of-date components, and how would I set about doing that?

Fun way to spend the weekend... :|

Many thanks. ;)
----------
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

KarelBata

Re: Will latest Ultrastudio Mini Recorder run on High Sierra

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 9:23 am

Hm.

No reply - and this is the official blackmagic customer problems forum.

Do they not monitor this? Do they not know the answer? Do they even care? Doesn't bode well for any future problems...

On the verge of sending it back, box unopened. Why even unbox this if there are going to be problems? :(
----------

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Am running one in High Sierra. Zero issues
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

KarelBata

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 1:42 am

Thanks.

Is that the latest model you have?

I assume the drivers are updated regularly, so the latest may not work with an out-of-date OS? Or will it just work with anything?

I only ask because the website spec doesn't include High Sierra in the compatability list.

Kinda confusing.
----------

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 10:13 am

First of all. You have a new account. So it could have taken a few days before we as users can see your post. While you can see your own post online. Admins have to aprove your first few posts due to spam robots ;)

Yeah will work..

You need some config to consider tho.. This is due to the Security issues Apple introduced since Sierra.

See >>
Frequently Asked Questions - Capture, Playbackand Stream >Point 4.05
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Eric-Jan

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 12:33 pm

What I understand from this is, depending on which version of MAC OSX your laptop/desktop is running, you should install that Setup/Media Express version, with Catalina you can always install the latest drivers/ME,
With Catalina you now have to click some "Allow" requestors, if you're quick enough :) or shift through the layered pop-ups during the installation...... (you have to be alert)
I have my Intensity Shuttle (TB2) also working on my MacBook Pro (late 2013) with latest Catalina OS.

But... you do not state which MAC hardware you are using, this could be more important, because you should/can not mix Thunderbolt 2 with Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C, these things should also be checked before buying,
Adapting is maybe an option, or not, because the Ultra Studio Mini Recorder is powered by the interface connection.

btw. I have the Ultra Studio Mini recorder also, and running on Sierra, no problem.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Eric-Jan

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 3:29 pm

goran diffner wrote:I must have skipped the New when I read so I need to correct my reply cause I only have the small older version. But it runs good on all my hackmacs and pc

This thread is mainly about the UltraStudio Mini Recorder, and the ability to run the software/drivers on High Sierra, the question of the OP.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

drewinmotion

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 11:07 am

Does OP or anyone have any updates on this? I am stuck with High Sierra on my 2017 15" MBP because I need to run Nvidia eGPUs for Octane Render. I am considering getting the Ultrastudio Mini Recorder to hook up to a DSLR for webcam/streaming.

Thanks in advance for any information!

KarelBata wrote:Hi,

Awaiting Amazon delivery of Ultrastudio mini. I need to run Mac OS High Sierra because of some other progs.

I notice the tech spec page blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/ultrastudio/techspecs/W-DLUS-04 says "Mac 10.14 Mojave, Mac 10.15 Catalina or later." :cry:

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 3:34 pm

already answered. yes its runs fine in high sierra. Running it today here on high sierra zero probs and switched original duty on scopebox server to streaming cam duties (skype/zoom) due to new working from home situation.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Return to Getting Started