Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt help!

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

ljmj81

Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt help!

PostTue Mar 17, 2020 2:50 pm

I've just bought an Intensity Shuttle with Thunderbolt connection to connect to my macbook pro, running High Sierra (10.13.5). I installed the software from the SD card (Desktop video 11.4), it asked to allow the apps etc however I could not connect to the device through my macbook as it showed no video signal.
After having had a look through these forums, I've done pretty much everything already stated on here - it's showing as no device connected in system report, I've uninstalled, reinstalled, tried different cables etc, terminal prompts on restart, all to no avail. Just can't get my head round why it won't work. In addition, when I do reinstall, many replies state that I will have to allow the app access under security settings - each time I've reinstalled, it's not shown on there.
Is there something obvious I'm missing?!

apelle

Re: Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt help!

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi,
I'm having the same issue with UltraStudio Mini Recorder (TB2).
The device shows up in System Profiler (under the Thunderbolt section) but Desktop Video Setup stays with the message "No Desktop Video Device Detected".
I'm on macOS 10.13.6, and I've tried many different version of Desktop Video and every trick proposed on this forum (I've probably rebooted my MacBook Pro 20 times in a morning).

Hoping for a solution...

Thanks in advance.

Eric-Jan

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 11:27 am

No mix-up with Thunderbold interface ? did it work before ? no firmware update was interrupted ? not too long cables ?
the IS needs power directly, no hub in-between ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

malaca

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 8:22 am

I got the same problem. Just received my unit today.

Tried all of the things along this forum. Running High sierra with all updated system. Since I'm curious and noticed it work on linux also, tried there and is just the same. It recognizes the device, and I'm not getting any capture. Just a little flicker of the original image. I Got new apple thunderbolt cable.

there most be a solution!

Eric-Jan

PostFri May 01, 2020 7:55 pm

Check your Apple hardware version if it has the Thunderbolt 2 interface if not, you need to adapt with Apple adapter/converter)
during install of software you need to "unlock" the lock icon in the lower left corner, and fill in your password to make changes, or being able to install new software, lock again and proceed wih installation and finish.
The video signal isn't stable enough for the IS to capture, and you need to improve on that
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

conmoto

PostSat May 02, 2020 3:34 pm

I am having same problem. No video displayed in capture window of Media Express. Running iMac with Mojave 10.14.6. Thunderbolt recognizes Intensity. Have tried several input devices. Sony RX10iii and ion speed pro in HDMI. VHS rec/player in video In. No luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Have looked at posts above and checked them all.

Eric-Jan

PostThu May 07, 2020 9:47 pm

Like i said... and in addition to that, resolution settings must be exact for both ends, check this with OSD of a monitor/tv, your Intensity needs also to be seen by the BMD software (Desktop Video & Media Express) to be configured, close Desktop Video after you changed settings in Desktop Video, only then settings wiil be valid, also check in Media Express, if you are using another app, using a video camera as video source should be no problem if settings are correct, capturing from an analog tape device (or use of the analog video outputs) can give stability problems and a passthrough device may be needed, like a dvd recorder or TBC

btw... starting your own post/thread will be better, to not make things complicating for the original poster.
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Cook

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 12:26 am

Add me to this list.

Running Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt with 5.2 firmware under Mojave 10.14.6, and Desktop Video 10.8.4.
Shuttle is recognized in System Profiler, but Desktop Video says No Desktop Video Device Detected.
I Have tried newer levels of Desktop Video including 11.5.1 as well, but get the same response.

Now here's the thing.
Using the exact same laptop, same Intensity Shuttle, same cables and software version, but booted from High Sierra, everything works just fine. So there is no doubt this is a problem running Desktop Video on Mojave, and I have the same problem in Catalina as well, while the USB3 Intensity Shuttle is working on both.

This problem is easily reproduced on multiple different computers. Has no one at Blackmagic Design tested this? My Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt is basically a paperweight now.

One would hope by now Blackmagic would have fixed this.
Cheers,
Jeff Cook

Eric-Jan

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 11:53 pm

Sometimes it even matters in what order you startup the hardware...
The Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) is a Thunderbolt 2 device which is only valid for the 2013 - 2015 "make" MAC's... other MAC's are displayport or Thunderbolt 3 versions of interfaces.
Or 32bit/64bit apps are mixed up between the OS's

1nv1s1b1e

PostTue Jul 19, 2022 1:24 am

Friends, I ran into the same problem as you. And after hours of research, I found the solution. Go to security preferences, go to firewall section, click on firewall options, and in the allow access to programs menu, add Black Magic DESKTOP VIDEO SETUP software. And boom!!! Ready, the device will appear available. I hope this solution still works for you.

Eric-Jan

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 10:19 am

Thankyou Faustino ! I think this makes it complete, all possible things have been covered with this because these are about all the "trapdoors" that can happen, like they say: "the devil is in the details"
(mentioning on which OS all is running helps also) on windows you use the USB version of the Intensity Shuttle, the Thunderbold Intensity shuttle was more meant for the MAC's, but newer MAC's don't use Thuderbolt 2 anymore, and would the USB3 version more likely again in favour)
But when the Intensity works, it does a fine job, the Intensity Shuttle needs a very clean video signal, which is not always the case with consumer devices, But some of the Panasonic combo recorders, which can record also onto DVD, can give off a very clean signal, also a DVD recorder can be used as passthrough device, this will even better work then a JVC vcr with a so called TBC build in, frames are sometimes dropped, and will cause audio out off sync with long recordings, HDMI will not work for other reasons.
This is valid for VHS transfer only, other use, video equipment, is no problem in this case.
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomoxy1

PostSat Jul 30, 2022 10:27 am

Hi, I need some help with the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt too.

I have successfully used the said product with a Mac Book Pro for several years and would like to continue using it with my new Windows based laptop that has a Thunderbolt 4 connection on the back of it.

I was wondering if it possible to get some form of adaptor to make the connection fit and how reliable this would be, I have had a bit of a look on amazon but not sure if I am looking at the right adapters - the Thunderbolt 4 connection is a lot smaller and looks quite like USB-C?

So if I manage to get the correct adaptor that allows the device to be recognized by the PC, is the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt still supported on Windows 11 via Thunderbolt? I get the impression I'd need to download the Desktop video software that will include the drivers, is that correct?

I hope someone out there can help me get back set up with my little capture card, kind regards
Tom

Eric-Jan

PostMon Aug 01, 2022 7:57 pm

StarTech has adapters for this, be sure to look for a Windows type solution, because some adapters are "measured" for the Apple hardware.
Buy a secondhand Mac with Thunderbolt 2 on it, check with compatability list on Apple website, because a mini displayport looks the same
if you have a vcr with some form of stabilisation (TBC like) you could also go for BlackMagic Design hardware,
like converters: Analog to SDI > SDI/HDMI to Thunderbolt 3/4 or a SDI/HDMI recorder like Video Assist, or Atomos recorder.

i've made the list from least expensive to more…… it's about how much you want to spent, or how much work you have, or if you want to keep it as a permanent setup.

My personal view is try to keep the capture process off from any PC, capture/record to a HDMI recorder, if you already have a Hyperdeck Shuttle HD, or Video Assist, you're in luck, The Hyperdeck Shuttle HD also records to h.264 apart from ProRes422
(hardware and software will keep changing through the years)

A Panasonic DMR ES35V is a perfect match to work with BMD hardware, it has a rocksteady VHS output signal, which BMD hardware needs.

I'm curious which vcr and TBC "like" stabilisation you use.

jwillis84

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 7:01 pm

small mention.

I have an old ( HP Elitebook Folio G1 )- laptop

It has two USB 3.1 "c" Thunderbolt ports.

The new specification for Thunderbolt 3 (and I assume 4) is the ports must implement a type of "Port Security". On HP laptops it is defaulted to "on" to allow "notification" of a device insert, but blocks the ability of Windows to assign a device driver by filtering out the rest of the communications.

To get it to work, you need a USB 3.1 "c" or higher Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 port, and an adapter that connects the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt 2 to the Thunderbolt 3 port.

Apple has made a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter for many years, you can pick one up at BestBuy or many other electronics stores, or online from Amazon or many other vendors. They are so common now that the original manufacturer in China now dumps them on eBay for very little cost.. but I would caution its better to save money in other ways since the Thunderbolt ports can carry high charge currents and could damage all your gear. The Apple one, or purchasing from a reputable vendor is recommended.

On my HP laptop, I had to reboot and enter the UEFI BIOS and find the "Port Security" and toggle it from "Notification" to "Disabled" - and the Port then permitted "full communications" with the operating system.

After starting Windows, the Thunderbolt Adapter is seen as a "New" PCI express bridge; and then detects the Intensity Shuttle and installs three Device Drivers for it.

Thunderbolt is an extension of the PCI express bus.. so to the laptop, it looks like you inserted a full size card into the back of a tower pc case.. and treats it as such.

Apple is a bit more strict on what they allow to talk through their Macbook ports, above and beyond simply allowing you to "disable port security". Windows is not as picky. It simply works like any other PCI express card in a PC.

Eric-Jan

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 9:29 am

Thus, in such case you need to know exactly know what to, a lot of things can go wrong, for me, this discourages me a lot, a little detail can make things go wrong, and next update of the OS can sabotage it again,
So I avoid this kind of situations, maybe also because i'm a bit lazy in such a case, sorry for that…
I still keep my recent MacBookPro for such situations and legacy software, a secondhand one (with better specs) runs now the recent versions (like DR18) of software.
It's better when you first convert analog video to HDMI or SDI, and then record it, (DVR) i like that very much now, and can be done also at a reasonable price, and has an easy workflow.
The Intensity Shuttle is a good capture device, but BMD should update it with the (new) latest (Thunderbolt?) interface.

Return to Getting Started