Old Decklink not recognized by Video Desktop utility

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

ppblais

Old Decklink not recognized by Video Desktop utility

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 11:30 pm

I have recently recsusitated my old online mac pro after a long period of dormance...

the computer works fine, even better then my newer Macbook Air.

It has an old Decklink Studio HD-SDI card in it. I just recently tried pugling my SDI monitor back in and realized that the desktop utility app was not recognizing it anymore, I am not sure why.

When I take a look in system info I notice it sees the card, but is marking it as having no driver installed for it... it was working fine up to a few years ago when I was still using this workstation.

The only thing that has changed since then is at somepoint I upgraded to High Sierra, which at the time was the newest OS my system could support. I have to admit I don't think I tried using the decklink since upgrading so I am wondering if that could be the issue.

I understand that both my machine and the decklink are some old piece of equipement in today's standard. But I feel like it should still work...

any thoughts on what could be wrong here?

thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 7.29.06 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 7.29.06 PM.jpg (46.34 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 7.10.46 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 7.10.46 PM.jpg (81.37 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

Xtreemtec

Re: Old Decklink not recognized by Video Desktop utility

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 9:08 am

The upgrade to high sierra is where it gone wrong ;)

See this topic>> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64943
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

ppblais

PostTue Mar 24, 2020 3:20 am

Xtreemtec wrote:The upgrade to high sierra is where it gone wrong ;)

See this topic>> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64943

Thank you for you reply and for pointing me in the direction of that thread! I managed to solve my problem thanks to your solution on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68455&p=382926#p382915

I had to repeat step 1 to 3 twice, but after two uninstall/reinstall my system magically recognized my decklink again in system specs

but the latest version of desktop video still did not see it. So I tried installing version 10.4 which was mentioned in one of the post in that thread and that did it for me, restarted, and as soon as I logged back in my computer prompted to update firmware, and now everything is back to how it should be!

Thanks!

gearrental

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 3:08 pm

I am trying to make use of a Decklink Studio 2, in a Sonnet Thunderbolt Chassis with an iMac running Catalina. I have un/re-installed Video Desktop Utility several times. I can see the device recognized in the PCI system information, and I can confirm that the card works in an old 8 core Mac Pro 4,1 running an older OS.

I probably should just buy a new card but was just hoping to make use of the existing item. Any suggestions appreciated.

Kirk Miles
Austin TX

Return to Getting Started