Support of SECAM system?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

genfersee

Support of SECAM system?

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 12:17 pm

Dear all,

I would like to purchase Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (USB 3.0 or Thunderbold) to capture some old VHS tapes.

I see in the specs that the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle indeed supports PAL and NTSC systems according to the specifications.

My VHS tapes are all rerded in SECAM video system. Could somebody confirm that Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle can also work with video in SECAM mode?

Thanks in advance!

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Support of SECAM system?

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 2:48 pm

Sorry SECAM is not supported.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Christian Paire

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 8:42 am

Hello, you will need a Time Base Corrector with standard conversion in order to output pal from secam and a clean signal ; Blackmagic systems don't like old poor vhs signal. Or get a top vhs player, multistandard and with clean signal output. Also see used canopus advc or any TBC brand.

genfersee

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 2:40 pm

Christian Paire wrote:Hello, you will need a Time Base Corrector with standard conversion in order to output pal from secam and a clean signal ; Blackmagic systems don't like old poor vhs signal. Or get a top vhs player, multistandard and with clean signal output. Also see used canopus advc or any TBC brand.

Thanks a lot!

Eric-Jan

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 12:04 am

My guess is, SECAM is what has been broadcasted, MESECAM is what has been recorded on tape,
I see my multi system Sony SLV-ED85 is MESECAM compatible, from there on it should go to a passthrough device, prefered with component output, into a Intensity Shuttle, would do the trick.
I guess a TBC with (ME)SECAM option will also work.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started