5" Video Assist SD card compatibility

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

pallen105

5" Video Assist SD card compatibility

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 8:39 am

I am having problems getting the 5" Video Assist to recognise a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128gb SDXC card (170mb/s), despite BMD saying on their website that these UHS-1 cards are supported. I have tried two different ones and each time it acknowledges it loading then defaults to NO CARD. Bizarrely, a SanDisk Ultra 64gb SDXC (80mb/s) is recognised and works fine. Any thoughts please?

Denny Smith

Re: 5" Video Assist SD card compatibility

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 12:16 am

SanDisk changed their cards last year, and broke the compatibility with the VA and Pocket/Micro camera. See the thread on this for cards that do work.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Hurley

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 12:29 pm

Kingston Canvas React 128 gb V30 SDXC cards work in the original 5" video assist; I've tested it several times and it works fine; also works on the original Pocket camera but may have trouble with CDNG raw at 30 fps (and higher in the BMMCC). That's not an issue with the Video Assist since it only records Prores.

These are very affordable cards, a fraction of the cost of the SanDisk.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

theimp_1

PostThu Jul 16, 2020 7:41 pm

Regarding the Kingston Canvas React 128 gb V30 SDXC; BM Video Assist HD model says the cards should be UHS I, but Kingston says the above card is UHS II--if it works, who cares? I bought a new Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS 1, 32 GB, 95/mbs, it wouldn't recognize it. I have an identical older Sandis, and it works. The only giveaway is the new one's record inhibit tab is yellow, the old one is gray.

Brad Hurley

PostFri Jul 17, 2020 9:21 am

theimp_1 wrote:Regarding the Kingston Canvas React 128 gb V30 SDXC; BM Video Assist HD model says the cards should be UHS I, but Kingston says the above card is UHS II--if it works, who cares?

It's a UHS I card. See here for example: https://www.amazon.ca/Kingston-Digital- ... B07B69QCTH
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Owen Dawe

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 5:54 am

Just to bring this up to date September 19th. 2021.

I'm using both Kingston Canvas Select Plus SDS 2 128 GB and SanDisk Ultra 90 MB/s 32 GB. Both will record until the card is full with no problems.

I'm recording PRO RES HQ via SDI High Definition. I have four of the original 5 inch Video Assist and mixing the four Video Assist, cables, cards and cameras am having no problems.

The only snag I've found the Kingston cards wont format in the video assist. I format them in a windows computer exFAT first, then they will format in the video assist.

Hope this is of some help.

Return to Getting Started