Intensity Pro 4K Does Not Support SD Progressive

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Robert Khnanisho

Intensity Pro 4K Does Not Support SD Progressive

PostSun May 03, 2020 10:41 am

So just a heads up for anyone considering buying the Intensity Pro 4K. It does not support the same SD Video Standards as the Shuttle Models.

Intensity Shuttle TB/USB3:
SD Video Standards
625i50 PAL, 525i59.94 NTSC, 625p50 PAL, 525p59.94 NTSC

Intensity Pro 4K PCIe:
SD Video Standards
625i50 PAL, 525i59.94 NTSC

Now I know why my IP4K was not picking up a signal when I switched to progressive mode on my VHS/DVD player.

I've messaged BM Support to see if this can be updated with software/firmware.

Robert Khnanisho

Re: Intensity Pro 4K Does Not Support SD Progressive

PostThu May 07, 2020 10:33 pm

Update

Support referred my question about possible firmware/software updates to BMD's Australian distributor. They contacted me to tell me they would submit a feature request.

Eric-Jan

Re: Intensity Pro 4K Does Not Support SD Progressive

PostSun May 10, 2020 10:44 am

That would be nice indeed ! even more BMD soft/hardware are missing some resolution modes or settings, Yes, it is true, old legacy hardware has only interlaced "features" but near the end of the analog "time age" different consumer devices came with options for new hardware like DVD players or beamer and LCD screen support,
to get optimal quality from analog tape devices one can set for progressive mode over component video output,
which is slightly better than composite or s-video, which are only available in interlaced mode,
for example, the the Mini Converter Analog to SDI converter, only supports interlaced, this converter would be a nice option to record analog video to a hardware recorder, if that recorder supports progressive mode which the Video Assist doesn't "do" also.. :(
So... yes it would be nice if Progressive mode would be supported throughout the BMD hardware, also because de-interlacing is only supported in the Studio version of Davinci Resolve.

btw. I am using the Panasonic DMR-ES35V combo recorder, it has component (YUV) video output which is normaly interlaced, but can be switched to Video with component, and after that, you can set it also in progressive mode, there is no need to use the DVD deck in that case.
this combo has steady video output over composite and s-video also, no TBC needed for stabilisation with the Intensity Shuttle.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started