Mini Recorder installed but NO INPUT

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Jakub76

Mini Recorder installed but NO INPUT

PostMon May 04, 2020 8:32 am

I have recently purchased a the Mini Recorder, I have installed BM Desktop Video and checked security permissions, the software did a firmware update to the Mini Recorder automatically.

I have a Sony a6300 connected to the device via HDMI, the source in Desktop Video is set to HDMI, thunderbolt connection to my MacBookPro9,2 running OS X 10.14.6 the indicator light on the device is lit and it appears in pull down menus on various software (OBS, Premiere Pro, Zoom.us) however there is no picture or sound in any of the combination of settings I have tried.

I double checked the source signal has video and sound by using a separate hdmi monitor.

I have also restarted all of the devices several times after the software install but still no picture.

Any ideas..? Faulty device or is it software?

BM Desktop Video report follows ...
UltraStudio Mini Recorder
Video Input
HDMI
Video Options
Capture 1080p as PsF
Disabled
Device Interface
Thunderbolt
System Configuration
Machine Name
mac.local
Operating System
OS X 10.14.6
Physical Memory
17179 MiB
Physical Processors
Hardware Model
MacBookPro9,2

Eric-Jan

Re: Mini Recorder installed but NO INPUT

PostTue May 05, 2020 4:01 pm

You are using Media Express also ? if not, try this first, before using other software.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Jakub76

PostWed May 06, 2020 2:33 am

SOLUTION: I switched the sony a6300 HDMI output to 108050i and the Mini Recorder recognised the signal. In 1080p the camera must be spitting out 50p which the device does not support.

Thanks Eric, Media Express did make it easier to automatically detect the supported signal coming in.

Cheers,
Jakub

Eric-Jan

PostWed May 06, 2020 7:50 pm

Glad to be of help, i always say "i don't know everything, but there's a way to find out and deduct, like Sherlock Holmes"
The Mini Recorder does not convert resolution settings, the first thing you should do is matching the specs, (checking the feature specs in both manuals)
the Ultra Studio Mini Recorder has limits in frame rates in the higher end/portion of resolution, mostly also interlaced or progressive you now noticed, if you keep this in mind you also can find shortcuts to reach your goal, so sometimes with hardware it's difficult to have high specs with progressive mode, this is due to the "bandwith" of the signal, that's also the reason that sport events still use interlaced mode over video, (interlaced "looks" smoother with fast movements, people are still used to blur,with fast action)
Recently i also had/have a simulair problem, capturing VHS to "digital" and my Mac laptop, i now try to have less involvement of software during capture, because software needs dedicated CPU power, the (video) data must be fast (moved) to keep the capture process un-interrupted,
A BlackMagic Design converter (Anlog to SDI) "does" only 625i , while my VHS component combo can also do output @ PAL (625 lines) progressive mode, but than again, de-interlacing by Davinci Resolve Studio will be better in the end..
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Thu May 07, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Denny Smith

PostThu May 07, 2020 4:36 am

Eric, only the Ip/Down/Cross Converter can change a signal resolution and frame rate, regular Micro or Mini Converters do not change the Resolution or frame rate. I have not tried sending the Analog to SDai Converter a PAL 625 signal. Not sure about 625p, perhaps you are referring to 640p? The most common video resolutions are, “ 4320p, 2160p, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 640p, 576i, 480p, 480i, 360p, 240p”.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostThu May 07, 2020 8:08 pm

Oops ! i'll delete that from my post ! Sorry, this is something i try to watch out for myself, and now i'm making that same mistake, so converting is really only for the connection type....

luizeduard

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 8:21 pm

I have the same problem. However the Sony a6300 works on port 1 of the Atem Mini Pro and does not work on the others. I tested with a Sony Handycam HDR-CX360 and had the same problem. Does moving to 24p work?
Would anyone know to tell me another solution?

Return to Getting Started