Simple (!) dual monitor setup problem

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

boardmad

Simple (!) dual monitor setup problem

PostMon May 04, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi All
I have what should be a simple setup question...but I'm stumped and hope someone can help

I have:
2 x 27" LG Ultrafine Monitors
Blackmagic Pro eGPU
2018 13" Macbook Pro (four thunderbolt ports)

Current setup I have my macbook driving the bottom thunderbolt port on the eGPU and one of the monitors driven over a thunderbolt cable from the top port on eGPU. However when I plug in my displayport to thunderbolt cable to the second monitor it never detects it even when I force from Mac > Display (Option Key) > Detect screen.
I have also tried with an HDMI to Thunderbolt cable to see if that's the problem but still no dual monitor driven from the eGPU...am I doing something weird?

Also to verify it's not the monitor both have been swapped in and out on same cables in single monitor mode and work perfectly....and to add further confusion I have run both monitors perfectly in dual mode without acceleration straight out of the macbook pro directly.

Any advice welcome?

boardmad

Re: Simple (!) dual monitor setup problem

PostWed May 06, 2020 8:14 am

Hmmm....lots of views but no replies? That's a bit disappointing :shock:

I have now managed to work around the second display out from eGPU simply not working by connecting my second LG monitor directly to the other side of the macbook pro thunderbolt ports but of course this means the screen isn't accelerated and the mac is working harder to run the screen than I'd like.

Still keen to understand from the group if anyone's seen this behaviour on a BMD eGPU before and any suggestions for running my 2nd monitor from either the HDMI or Displayport?

TIA

boardmad

PostSat May 30, 2020 12:45 pm

So I've finally gotten to the bottom of this issue and it appears after much digging and hassling both Apple and LG that the Ultrafine monitor CANNOT be driven off an HDMI/DP to USB-C converter cable regardless of quality. It can only be drive from a USB-C cable natively which means only one monitor can be accelerated/drive from the eGPU Pro. Very disappointing but fortunately for me the second LG 5k I'd bought developed a screen fault just days after delivery so it got sent back and the order cancelled.

Disappointed to see a lack of any engagement in this forum. :|

Denny Smith

PostSat May 30, 2020 6:40 pm

We do not all share the same issues, and usually only reply to situations we have experienced.
Thanks for sharing your solution.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Carlos A. Diez

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 10:25 pm

Hi,

I'm anticipating a similar situation and posting here to re-activate this thread in hope someone has recently gained new insight.

I've got a 2019 156-inch MBP with 4 thunderbolt-3 ports. The display card is a Radeon Pro 560X 4GB.

It is currently driving a single LG Ultrafine 5K display, along with the MBP display. I have a second LG Ultrafine 5K display on order (long order delays at present).

Have tried in vain to confirm whether I will truly need an egpu and if so what configuration. All I have been able to determine is that according to Apple the card WILL support two LG 5k displays by itself (no egpu), but I have no clue how Davinci Resolve will perform in this config. Not sure if it will support the MBP display at the same time as two LG 5k displays.

A question for the OP: during the short time you had the second LG 5K display, did you have it connected directly to the MBP with the other display connected to the egpu? How did this configuration perform?

I won't know how my MBP will perform running two LG 5k displays by itself until I get it but I suspect it will need some help, though am lost as to the best config. Also I'm a bit nervous about the egpu now that the egpu pro apparently is being discontinued.

If anyone could post any fresh insights, including any news or rumors about whether the product is likely to be discontinued, it would be appreciated... I don't know what to make of the current shortage on the egpu (is it due to COVID, or a precursor to the product being discontinued, like the egpu pro?...).

Thanks!

ScottH409

Blackmagic Pro not detecting 2nd monitor via Displayport

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 10:33 pm

A couple of months after I got my eGPU, my 2018 MacBook Pro (4 Thunderbolt ports, Intel chipset) would randomly not detect the monitor connected to the eGPU via DisplayPort. This only happens when the computer is woken from sleep mode. It happens every 2-4 weeks with no discernible pattern. I have to try restarting the computer, the eGPU, connecting the monitor through Thunderbolt and other things to get it to detect - usually, connecting it through the thunderbolt connection solves the problem. Not today.

Anyone have ideas on how to solve this?

Return to Getting Started