Being asked to purchase

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

BigDaddyLinux

Being asked to purchase

PostSat May 16, 2020 2:26 am

Hello,

I have been using DR16 for a few months now on Linux and I have to say that I love it. I purchased DR16 Studio for $299.00 right after using it. The program runs good but lately I have been receiving a popup when I go to add certain effects (Zoom or Blur) to the timeline that says that these are only available in the paid version of DR16 and that I could purchase it for $299.

I searched for this issue but could not find anything on it. Can anybody help me with it?

Linux = Pop!_OS (based on Ubuntu) with Davinci Resolve Studio 16.2

Thanks

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Being asked to purchase

PostSun May 17, 2020 8:30 am

You only see that message when u have the free version installed. Go to the BMD support web site and download the Studio version.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

BigDaddyLinux

PostSun May 17, 2020 4:01 pm

That's kind of embarrassing! I had the studio version installed when I first installed 16 so I guess when one of the point releases came out, I grabbed the regular version of the update instead of the studio.

Sorry about the newb question but I really appreciate the answer because I am now able to use all the transitions without problems.

Thanks again

VennStone

PostMon May 18, 2020 8:13 am

After downloading the correct version make sure you use "studio" instead of "light" when installing with makeresolvedeb.
Debian Testing
Threadripper 1920X
NVIDIA 2060
Intensity Pro
Intensity Pro 4K
DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K
DeckLink Quad HDMI

Eric-Jan

PostTue May 19, 2020 3:23 pm

What i understand of it all, installing the Studio version will erase the previous one ? and you first need to backup some things, changes, you made while using the "fresh" Davinci Resolve install ?
equipment/software used:
UltraStudio Mini Recorder, Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Assist 6G. Davinci Resolve 15 > Sierra, Resolve 16 > Catalina. Media Express, MacX Video Converter Pro, UniConverter (Using Apple OS on MacBook Pro hardware)

BigDaddyLinux

PostTue May 19, 2020 10:45 pm

VennStone wrote:After downloading the correct version make sure you use "studio" instead of "light" when installing with makeresolvedeb.

Thanks Venn, duly noted.

What i understand of it all, installing the Studio version will erase the previous one ? and you first need to backup some things, changes, you made while using the "fresh" Davinci Resolve install ?

I'm not sure about that.

Harald

PostMon May 25, 2020 10:14 am

Eric-Jan wrote:What i understand of it all, installing the Studio version will erase the previous one ? and you first need to backup some things, changes, you made while using the "fresh" Davinci Resolve install ?

The recommendation is to uninstall the light version before you install the studio version.
When I upgraded I archived my (not so many at that time) projects just to make sure, but the freshly installed studio version recognized the projects from the light version without having to re-archive the saved projects.
Worked like a charm for me.

Return to Getting Started