Multiview 4 Default IP and Output Problems

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

taylorb

Multiview 4 Default IP and Output Problems

PostWed May 20, 2020 1:06 am

I just got a multiview 4 and I am having some issues. I am not able to get any output from HDMI or SDI. I very briefly got something on screen via HDMi (with seemingly nothing changed) and thought it was working but I had to unplug it to move to it's permanent location and when it powered back on, I had no signal again. Tomorrow I will bring a different screen to try but I did try two monitors and a TV.

I thought maybe a software update or configuration change could be needed so I connected it to my network. I can see it's connected but it does not have an IP address listed when I look at my connected clients on my LAN. I assume that it has a default IP that's on another subnet but the manual does not mention a default IP and I am not able to find it. Any ideas?

Thanks

drdmal

Re: Multiview 4 Default IP and Output Problems

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 11:44 pm

Any luck finding the default IP address? I just got my MultiView 4 hooked up and it appears to be working, but the computer control via software feature was pretty important in my decision to purchase this product. Most devices are set up to use DHCP by default until/unless a manual IP is assigned. I'm a little surprised this device is manufactured with an undocumented static IP :-/

taylorb

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 7:20 pm

drdmal wrote:Any luck finding the default IP address? I just got my MultiView 4 hooked up and it appears to be working, but the computer control via software feature was pretty important in my decision to purchase this product. Most devices are set up to use DHCP by default until/unless a manual IP is assigned. I'm a little surprised this device is manufactured with an undocumented static IP :-/

No I never got any help. I had to configure with a USB connection to my PC. Sorry

drdmal

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 4:40 pm

OK, after setting up a spare wireless router and running an IP sniffer, I discovered that for my Multiview 4, the default IP address was 192.168.50.150.

Got in using "Multiview Setup" to change the IP address... "Connect using USB or use the front panel to adjust the network settings" <facepalm>

I've tried two different USB cables, and can't seem to figure out the secret sauce to make the "Multiview Setup" software see the device when connected via USB. Normally Windows will react to having a USB device attached - "select default action" or some such - but nothing when I plug in the Multiview 4.

The multiview functionality and software control is fantastic, I'm just having a heck of a time getting the IP address set to work properly on my network!

taylorb

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pm

drdmal wrote:OK, after setting up a spare wireless router and running an IP sniffer, I discovered that for my Multiview 4, the default IP address was 192.168.50.150.

Got in using "Multiview Setup" to change the IP address... "Connect using USB or use the front panel to adjust the network settings" <facepalm>

I've tried two different USB cables, and can't seem to figure out the secret sauce to make the "Multiview Setup" software see the device when connected via USB. Normally Windows will react to having a USB device attached - "select default action" or some such - but nothing when I plug in the Multiview 4.

The multiview functionality and software control is fantastic, I'm just having a heck of a time getting the IP address set to work properly on my network!

That's strange, my software saw it straight away when I used the USB. I am not with the device now, but I am pretty sure it can also be set with a teranex mini smart panel. I bought one to try and set the IP but got it working via USB before it arrived.

drdmal

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 1:15 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really excited about spending $85 to change a software setting - I think I'll look for a new USB cable - it's been a while since I've needed the Mini connector on a cable, and it's possible the cables I found are dead from years of abuse with their original phones. I know I have a ton of finicky micro usb plugs on cables. A new cable would be much cheaper than the smart panel.

taylorb

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 1:23 pm

drdmal wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm not really excited about spending $85 to change a software setting - I think I'll look for a new USB cable - it's been a while since I've needed the Mini connector on a cable, and it's possible the cables I found are dead from years of abuse with their original phones. I know I have a ton of finicky micro usb plugs on cables. A new cable would be much cheaper than the smart panel.

I agree. I had no mini USB cables left so I had to buy one. I had used a ton of other BlackMagic stuff and I don't know why this one is so hard to setup by comparison. The rest have all been so easy to navigate. I also don't know why they chose Mini USB.

drdmal

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 10:28 pm

That was it! A nice new USB cable from Best Buy and it instantly recognized the Multiview and allowed me to change the IP address. All is right with my setup now!

taylorb

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 6:00 pm

drdmal wrote:That was it! A nice new USB cable from Best Buy and it instantly recognized the Multiview and allowed me to change the IP address. All is right with my setup now!

The only good part about the old style of usb cables is that it gave me an "I told you so..." moment with my wife who said I needed to get rid of my box of old cables cause I would never need them again

Return to Getting Started