On-Camera Monitors

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Damian M. Krawczyk

On-Camera Monitors

PostTue May 26, 2020 4:06 pm

Hello folks,

Which on-camera monitors are you using?

There are so many brands out there that I'm totally confused what's the best for my BMPCC6K. I don't need recording but the Ninja V is one of the few monitors out there which has a good menu, good colors, HDMI in&out, and has a good amount of nits and is not that expensive. I know there is the BM VA 5" 12G, but I don't understand why I should pay more for nearly the same quality. But I have to say what's really great about the BM VA 5 12G is its brightness. Anyone got both and can compare? Which one do you prefer?
I also considered Portkeys BM5 and SmallHD 502 Bright. It seems like there is a switch towards monitors with 1000++ nits because many people get handy digital cameras (like BMPCC/GH4/A III/S1H) for filming outside. Many brands like Feelworld or Liliput or others are manufacturing cheap monitors for 250$ or 300$ but I think in terms of professional use (focus pulling, video transmitting, good colors) they are useless because of their technological quality.

What are you using and what do you think about it?

Best regards
Damian

Denny Smith

Re: On-Camera Monitors

PostTue May 26, 2020 4:39 pm

I prefer the SmallHD, I am using the Focus OLED on the Pocket 4K, works great.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Damian M. Krawczyk

PostWed May 27, 2020 12:48 am

I like the SmallHD products! I think the OLED is a very good monitor but not bright enough for my projects. I'm recording in skateparks and many of them are outside. That's why something under 1000 nits is not possible for me

Damian M. Krawczyk

PostWed May 27, 2020 10:58 am

What I don't like on the BM VA 5 12G is the histogram which is fullscreen only. Is it possible to show the native histogram of the BMPCC6K on the BM VA 5 12G?

Denny Smith

PostWed May 27, 2020 4:56 pm

I do not think so, the camera menu, Monitor, shows what monitor overlays the camera will send for LCD (Camera), HDMI, there is a setting for for Cinematographer or Director, which also controls which overlays are available over HDMI. Histogram from the camera is only available on the camera LCD, as this is a reading directly from the sensor. The VA meters are reading the processed video signal from the camera, and not the sensor data, used by a true histogram reading.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu May 28, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Damian M. Krawczyk

PostWed May 27, 2020 11:24 pm

What about the focus peaks? Are they transmitted through hdmi or am I always forced to use the peaking of the monitor?

Denny Smith

PostThu May 28, 2020 12:42 am

I believe focus aids, including peaking is available and can be configured for one of the function buttons. This is how I have mine setup. Look a the Monitor menu, and you will see the available options.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Bilderspiele

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 8:49 pm

Last weekend I got the SmallHD 702 Touch monitor (1600 nits). It‘s heavy, but it works great in the bright sunshine. Focus pulling is very easy now.

Damian M. Krawczyk

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 11:16 pm

The 702 Touch is too expensive - I can't afford that. The 702 Bright seems to be good but I don't know if 1000 nits is enough for daylight and sunshine. How is your experience?

I think 7" is better for focus pulling. Since I decided to go for 7" a few days ago the Feelworld monitors came into focus. Does someone have experience with this monitors for focus pulling?

Natopher

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 3:04 am

I recently bought the SmallHD Focus 7 after using the Blackmagic Video Assist for several years.

I absolutely love the Focus 7. It's incredibly bright (much more so than the BMVA I was using), I can quickly swipe between screens with different scopes, overlays, etc, it has a completely customizable false color system, and the battery life is really good. It lasts a bit over 3 hours on a single 4400mAh battery.
Nathaniel Wright

Howard Roll

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 2:11 pm

Pulling focus on a skate vid? I remember when you slapped a fisheye on your dad’s camcorder and called it a day. Spike Jonze making more work for everyone.

Good Luck

Damian M. Krawczyk

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 2:34 pm

Haha, no skate vids for me. I'd like to go minimalistic and experimental and already made some scripts. In short so far there is a guy sitting in a black room who has flashbacks and flash-forwards with his biggest fears. One of them: Events with many people like Carneval. I need some scenes from recording real events and in certain situations I can't care about sunlight. Just need to see what I'm recording on the monitor and pull the focus correctly.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 2:13 pm

This might be short notice but I came across B&H and they have the SmallHD 702 7" at 50% off for the next 12 hours from this link if anyone is interested. Looks like a very good buy. Here is the link. Good luck!
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _hdmi.html
Offer Ended.
Last edited by Ellory Yu on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

johnmorgan

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi there. I always use GoPro but you are right it is better to have monitor to see the whole picture. Thanks for sharing your variants, I am going to buy one from that list.

JackJones1337

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 5:40 pm

Return to Getting Started