Zoom and TVS HD image burn

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

mykdw1

Zoom and TVS HD image burn

PostFri May 29, 2020 1:37 am

I have my iMac set up to use dual monitors via a powered splitter and sending the second monitor into my Atem TVS HD switcher for the zoom feed. I have Zoom my Atem Television HD connected into my Ultrastudio HD mini recorder and back to my iMac. All stream are set to 1080p 30fps.

The issue I have is sometimes when I feed a stream into zoom the image will begin to black and start to look like it is being burned into the screen. Once this happens I have to switch the camera setting in zoom to something that is not using my switcher.

Any clues why this is happening? Is it because by chance one stream is not actually set to the same 1080p 30fps? Is there something else I am missing? I am using the latest Zoom version with the Xcode workaround.

codedeltajames

Re: Zoom and TVS HD image burn

PostFri May 29, 2020 8:51 am

Sounds like video feedback where you feed the source image back to itself. Were you outputting the Zoom screen back to zoom at the time?

mykdw1

Re: Zoom and TVS HD image burn

PostFri May 29, 2020 2:27 pm

Yes, I was. How do you get around that? What I am attempting to do is have multiple camera angles in my zoom feed with graphics and lower thirds. Plus be able to place lower thirds over other peoples camera feed in zoom. So when I spotlight that person in zoom have a graphic with their name over the video.

mykdw1

Re: Zoom and TVS HD image burn (SOLVED)

PostSat May 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Well I think I figured it out and I will give you my experience since I know I can’t be the only person that is being forced in how they conduct their business in this pandemic we are in. My wife is a Belly Dance instructor and I have had to take her entire career into the online streaming world. So I come from an audio background and video broadcasting/switching/streaming is new to me. So here is how I solved my issue with your help:

Setup:
Atem Television Studio HD (setup on my network)

UltraStudio HD Mini Recorder (connected via SDI from PGM of switcher)

iMac in extended mode with second screen (UltraStudio connected via USB C )
bmpcc 4k connected to switcher via HDMI

iPhone connected to switcher with Black Magic Up Down Converter via HDMI

Macbook Pro connected to switcher via HDMI for remote camera via obs.ninja/obs
All set to 1080p 30 fps

ZOOM:
In zoom I have selected the dual monitors. This set the second zoom screen on the extended desktop of my imac for what the audience see and the controls on my regulare screen. This second screen is outputted to the switcher via HDMI.

In Zoom video settings I select the blackmagic Ultrastudio 1080p x 1920 30 fps as my camera.

ISSUE:
When I ‘spotlighted’ my screen in zoom to show the feed it created a video feedback loop and the video became distorted and began to appear burn in.

SOLUTION:
1. Understand your products and what you are trying to do.

2. You cannot spotlight your feed from zoom. Whatever account you are signed in with that particular screen (the one with your name on it) cannot be spotlighted or pinned. If you do this you are sending your zoom feed back into your own zoom feed. Essentially you are taking your camera and pointing right at your screen causing a loop.

3. So how do you get your pretty face into the zoom meeting? You use your camera which is connected to the switcher in a separate channel and transition back and forth.

Hope this helps someone.

Return to Getting Started