Video Assist 7” 12G HDR Simultaneous XLR and SDI audio?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

robertmerow

Video Assist 7” 12G HDR Simultaneous XLR and SDI audio?

PostSat May 30, 2020 6:25 pm

Hello,
I can't figure this out from the manual, specs, or youtube reviews.

I see the new Video Assist 7” 12G HDR can record up to 16 channels of audio. Can this be a mix of the onboard XLR and the incoming via SDI?

For example, could I record 2 mics using the built in XLR and 4 channels already embedded in the SDI for a total of 6 channels?

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist 7” 12G HDR Simultaneous XLR and SDI audio?

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 2:27 am

After reading this I’d the manual, and on all previous VA 7-inch, you have a choice of either the XLRnor imbedded audio on the HDMI or SDI inputs, not both.
Channel Source - XLR Line, XLR Mic or Video
When connecting professional audio equipment other than microphones to the analog XLR inputs, make sure you set the recording level to ‘XLR line’. Most professional audio equipment outputs ‘line’ level audio which is a stronger signal compared to ‘mic’ level. Alternatively, when connecting microphones to the XLR inputs, set the respective input to ‘XLR mic’ level. This is because microphones typically output a signal that is slightly weaker in strength compared to equipment with line level output, so the signal is boosted slightly by your 7” video assist to optimize the recording level. If you want to bypass the XLR analog inputs and maintain the embedded SDI or HDMI channels 1 and 2 from your source video, select ‘video’. On the 7” 12G model, audio meters below the source selection allow you to alter the level of either
XLR source.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started