SOLVED:driver loads, device not seen (&updates don't happen)

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

TobyEggitt

SOLVED:driver loads, device not seen (&updates don't happen)

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 6:22 pm

Greetings,

I found the software package that I think is intended to support my newly received Decklink Quad HDMI card, but it is not working in any useful way.

I'm running on Ubuntu Linux 18.04.4 LTS on Dell Optiplex 9020 hardware with 32 GB RAM.

I installed all three deb files from the download:

Code: Select all
desktopvideo_11.5.1a14_amd64.deb
mediaexpress_3.6.1a24_amd64.deb
desktopvideo-gui_11.5.1a14_amd64.deb

and I see the card. lspci -k shows:

01:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Blackmagic Design Device a14e
   Subsystem: Blackmagic Design Device a14e
   Kernel driver in use: blackmagic-io
   Kernel modules: blackmagic_io

and of course, that shows the kernel module is loaded, but for completeness I can also see that directly:

$ lsmod | grep magic
blackmagic_io        1888256  8

I also see the device files:
$ ls -R /dev/blackmagic
/dev/blackmagic:
io0  io1  io2  io3

I also see a bunch of processes running:
$ ps -ef | grep magic
root       821     2  0 11:43 ?        00:00:00 [blackmagic]
root       822     2  0 11:43 ?        00:00:00 [blackmagic]
root       824     2  0 11:43 ?        00:00:00 [blackmagic]
root       825     2  0 11:43 ?        00:00:00 [blackmagic]
root       826     2  0 11:43 ?        00:00:00 [blackmagic]
root      1405     1  0 11:43 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/blackmagic/DesktopVideo/DesktopVideoHelper -n

However, when I try to run any of the programs they tell me there is no device. I assumed I should run the "setup" program (BlackmagicDesktopVideoSetup) first, and it reports "No Desktop Video Device Detected".

If I run MediaExpress, it starts, shows me a very pretty UI, but if I click on the Device menu, I see a greyed out menu entry that says "No Device is Connected". Also, MediaExpress doesn't actually quit (that is, I run it from a command line prompt, and when I select File->Exit, the window disappears, but the command line prompt does not return and ps shows the process is still there. It takes a kill -9 to get rid of it.

The last piece of oddity is that every time I boot this machine, it now prompts me with a graphical box to update the software. I say yes, it spends a few minutes showing a progress bar, says it's complete, and I should shut down, which I do, and then it prompts me all over again.

This behavior is echoed by the command line updaters that I came across. Running the firmware updater (on all four devices in turn):
$ BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater update /dev/blackmagic/io0
... progress bar ...
/dev/blackmagic/io0: The software was updated successfully.                                                                                             
/dev/blackmagic/io0: Please shut down your computer to complete the software update.

then asking for the status results in this:

$ BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater status
0:   /dev/blackmagic/io0 [DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder]   0x10e   SHUTDOWN_REQUIRED
1:   /dev/blackmagic/io1 [DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder]   0x10e   SHUTDOWN_REQUIRED
2:   /dev/blackmagic/io2 [DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder]   0x10e   SHUTDOWN_REQUIRED
3:   /dev/blackmagic/io3 [DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder]   0x10e   SHUTDOWN_REQUIRED

But after restarting it reports UPDATE_REQUIRED again and the cycle repeats

If I run the other updater:
$ DesktopVideoUpdateTool -l
Available Devices:
 * DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder (G8d66a90)
     Firmware is out of date

and if I use this to do an update:

$ DesktopVideoUpdateTool -u -a
Updating DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder... 100.0%

DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder: Please shut down your computer to complete the software update.

All updates complete

but after the reboot, nothing has changed, and it still reports that it needs an update.
Last edited by TobyEggitt on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobyEggitt

Re: driver loads, device not seen (&updates don't happen)

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 9:11 pm

My apologies, I worked out the answer to this from another topic. I was going to delete this, but figure maybe it'll help someone else if they have the same problem, even though I imagine most of you already know this, and I must just be foolish.

When the update tools say "SHUTDOWN_REQUIRED" they mean POWER CYCLE, not "restart" like essentially every other piece of software I've ever used!

As soon as I did that (in fact, accidentally, as I decided to remove the card from my machine), it all worked just fine.

Return to Getting Started