Can Picture in picture settings be saved??

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

singingzoologist

Can Picture in picture settings be saved??

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 2:55 pm

I have looked through the manual and I see how to change the size of the PIP window but when I click from one to another, it goes back to the (very small) previous value. Surely there is a way to save these settings, right?

I tried saving my settings under the file menu but that didn't do it. I'd love to be able to switch this live from one side to the next during live productions but, as it stands, it's pretty much useless as that image preset is SOOO small.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Lucas Miller
www.singingzoologist.com
Youtube.com/user/biorhythms
ATEM Mini Pro

Denny Smith

Re: Can Picture in picture settings be saved??

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 2:58 pm

I assume you are referring to the ATEM Mini. Currently, there is no way to save this or media pool graphics. I think BMD may be working on these issues, as the Mini and Mini Pro have a flash memory. These new small switchers are really nice, but not designed for regular production switching, they were developed for small live streaming venues by individuals, and educational applications, where the same settings are not necessarily needed. Think of it a as an advanced version of thenWebPresenter, adding several cameras and a laptop graphics input for small presentations.

Sounds like your application might be better served by a ATEM HD series switcher, if you need pre-set saved setups.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 3:11 pm

Hello Lucas. I will offer a workaround if you only need one setting. Set the DVE size and position the way you want. Then in the File Menu on the software, select Save the Startup State. When powered the DVE will always return to this setting. As long as you do not touch any of the 4 DVE buttons, the On and Off will always show your saved position. If you need multiple setups, then Macros are the best way to handle this.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

singingzoologist

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Thanks so much for your posts. Yes, I'm on the ATEM Mini Pro. Sorry, I need to add a signature with that info.

What I was hoping to do is to have essentially four, easily accessible flying keys. I was hoping I could set the four buttons to be, say lower right at 50% scale, lower right at 75%, lower left at 50% and 75%. Sounds like that's wishful thinking.

We'll see if what I'm doing takes off. For now, I've already invested quite a bit in my setup and am well "in the red" if you know what I mean. I've been doing live presentations in schools and libraries for about 25 years and I'm hoping to shift that work online this fall. If I get a significant amount of that work then one of the higher level switchers might be easier to justify. For now, I have macros set up to fly my key left, right or full. It'd just really nice to just be able to hit one of the those PIP buttons, though...

Thanks again!!

Lucas Miller
www.singingzoologist.com
ATEM Mini Pro
Lucas Miller
www.singingzoologist.com
ATEM Mini Pro

singingzoologist

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 4:55 pm

I just think it is so bizarre that you have so much control over those PIP windows (borders, drop shadows, virtual light source, etc) but as soon as you click to another PIP button, all that stuff is lost. I would like to humbly request that you have a way to either save individual window setting or at least apply all those changes to ALL windows. That is, if I set the scale on upper left to 50%, ALL the PIP locations are scaled at 50%.

As it stands, I think the PIP size is so small it renders that feature useless for me and I saw other posts where people were saying the same thing.

Anyway, thanks again and I will say that this piece of equipment is allowing me to produce streaming content heads-and-shoulders above others in my field, at least from an A/V perspective. The direct ethernet streaming to YT and FB looks and sounds GREAT. I was even able to get the streaming key from one of my libraries I'm performing for and go directly to their page which saved us both a lot of work.

Dollar for dollar, this has to be the greatest value in this domain!
Lucas Miller
www.singingzoologist.com
ATEM Mini Pro

dbmurray

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 2:19 am

I know this post is a few months old, but I just wanted to echo the feature request for a way to save the startup state for DVE settings without the physical corner PIP buttons canceling out the settings once they're loaded.

If I might add to this feature request, what would really be ideal would be the addition of an "assign" option on the DVE screen so whatever settings are entered could be assigned to one of the corner PIP buttons on the device and then saved to the startup state.

Thanks!
David Murray
--------------
ATEM Mini

einfsaas

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 9:31 am

same here.
I managed to permanently store the crop area of my video source, and the startup size and position, but would REALLY love to also store the function of those PiP buttons, because sometimes i just need to move the PiP window out of the way when it's obstructing something i'd like to show in that corner
ATEM Mini
-> Microsoft Teams (live)
-> TerraTec Grabster GC 100 (recording)

Dbas2dbas

PostFri Nov 06, 2020 7:45 pm

This is all great info. Didn’t realise it was possible and will give it a go. I agree that the current PiP size is way too small.

However, as a follow on feature request, why is the PiP only channel 1? It would be great to choose another input to be the PiP please.

David

tomfewchuk

PostSun Nov 19, 2023 5:35 am

How has it been 3 years and the default physical PIP buttons are still not customisable??? Makes them useless buttons on the device and I have to resort to using macros for something that should be so simple to alter.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSun Nov 19, 2023 11:06 pm

tomfewchuk : Welcome ! This is blackmagic ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

FOURNIER AV

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 3:53 am

I haven't had an ATEM mini very long, and sorry if this has already been said, but can't you do that with macros? Have a different macro for every configuration you like.

Return to Live Production