Intensity Pro works for a while, then not detected

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

thevideojunkie

Intensity Pro works for a while, then not detected

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 2:43 pm

This problem is driving me to drink! Heh.

I have an Intensity Pro PCIe card with latest software in my Mac Pro 5,1 running Mojave. Works great, until it doesn't. Every day or two, it will suddenly not appear in System Report (About this Mac) and show the message "No Desktop Video Device Detected" in Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup.

My solution to get it back is to pull out my machine, take off the side, unscrew the fiddly-arsed Apple thing that holds the cards in place, remove the card and boot the machine. Then shut down and reinstall the card. Then it works, usually.

Until the next time.

Is there a solution to fix this? Or at least a way to "reset" the card and get it to reappear without physically having to remove it and install it? Thanks!

thevideojunkie

Re: Intensity Pro works for a while, then not detected

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 12:43 pm

I was hoping somebody would have a suggestion. It's very disappointing this problem has afflicted me, because it is difficult due to positioning to constantly need to access the inside of my Mac Pro to remove and reinstall the card to have it recognized.

Eric-Jan

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 11:58 am

Did you try a different PCIe slot ? could there be a conflict while using other hardware or functions in the system ?
Maybe the power supply is of too low wattage ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

thevideojunkie

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 10:26 am

Thanks, Eric-Jan for taking a stab at it. Problem persists with PCIe slots 3 and 4 in my Mac Pro, which does have a substantial power supply and hopefully not faulty.

thevideojunkie

PostSat Jul 18, 2020 3:20 pm

Without much feedback here I can assume this is not such a common problem. I set the problem aside for some days, with the card left in the state of not being recognized. This morning, my Mac Pro got updated to the latest Security Update from Apple, at 10.14.6, and suddenly the Intensity Pro card is recognized without me having had to dislodge and re-insert it. Let's hope this is a good thing and it keeps working indefinitely!
Last edited by thevideojunkie on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric-Jan

PostSat Jul 18, 2020 3:57 pm

If the problem comes back, you should start a ticket at BMD, because you have done all the things you could do, is my guess, (all is up to date) with that give as much information about your setup, firmware version Intensity Pro, etc..
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

thevideojunkie

PostSun Jul 19, 2020 3:23 am

Thanks, Eric-Jan.

Return to Getting Started