DVR and RAMDisk?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

G0bble

DVR and RAMDisk?

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 9:04 pm

Hi Folks
My project source media files are on a Samsung 850 Evo Sata3 SSD until I complete the project after which I move it out to a high capacity spindle HDD for archival. It has a Ramdisk feature one can enable via the Samsung Magician software called Rapid mode. Basically a 2G area of RAM is reserved as a RAMCache for the SSD when using it.

Is it recommended to enable the RamCache with the project media files when working with DVR? I am asking this because when I was an absolute moron beginner with DVR 15 a year or more back and stumbling badly my way through the application like a new car driver - I actually saw a few hangs, freezes and crashes. (But then my system at the time was also a much weaker Ryzen 3200G with Integrated Graphics). I attributed it then to my rapid scrubbing through the timeline with the multiple media files of many Gigabytes - thinking possibly that the system with 2G RamCache was not able to cope with the rapidly jumping access patterns for different media clips. So I turned it off, but it never occurred to me to check with anyone. Now I have a more powerful CPU although still with a weak GPU, but the question still remains.

Has anyone seen problems like crashing when scrubbing timelines randomly and using a RAMCache like Samsung Rapid or any other like AMD StorMI or Intel Optane?

PS: I could very well try and enable it again - but I have very limited time for video editing per day as a hobbyist (and a humungous backlog of source material to edit) and so I loathe interruptions due to faulting applications. So I just want to get a sense for what other more experienced folks are doing about this ... Regardless of the answer I don't plan to enable it again until I am past 70% of my workload, but itching to hear some perspectives opinions and experiences of others, all the same.

Thanks
DVR Studio
Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 3900X, Nvidia RTX 3080FE,32GB RAM, SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD Boot, 512GB WD Blue nvme scratch

G0bble

Re: DVR and RAMDisk?

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 4:56 pm

I just realized the direct I/O option was checked by default bypassing OS filesystem operations - this would have interacted with the RAMDisk in unpredictable ways ... just FYI in case anyone using a similar configuration.
DVR Studio
Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 3900X, Nvidia RTX 3080FE,32GB RAM, SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD Boot, 512GB WD Blue nvme scratch

Return to Getting Started