DVR Studio Not restarting from desktop after a session

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AUROCH

DVR Studio Not restarting from desktop after a session

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 10:17 am

Noticed only on Latest BMR Update (i7K Cpu, at 4.2Ghz, 32GB ram, MSI RTX 3 fan 2080 Ti 11Gb Vram, 2 x Nvme 1TB 970 Plus SSD, SATA 4TB hard drives plus Sata SSD, Win10 PRO

If I terminate a session after an edit , closing down DVRS normally.... then if I attempt to restart DVRS
anytime later from the desktop it will not start, icon just blinks on and off and is then dead.
I wont be able to restart a new session unless I turn off the power and restart Win10 Pro , then it works.
Task Manager says There are no other applications running in background and Win10 closes without warnings, as normal.
There are no excess CPU, Mem usage reported in task manager
Have also attempted to start DVRS from its .exe file in Programs with same result.
The edit video was a normal PAL format project clip of short duration, but it doesn't seem to matter what type of clip was being edited at the time...whether a new project or old (the full edit mode had just been in use )
A mild nuisance as it takes a while for this monster to boot up each time.

Any one having the same happen? A DVRS bug or my system??

John Byers

Charles Bennett

Re: DVR Studio Not restarting from desktop after a session

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 11:38 pm

This does seem to be a problem on some systems, but not mine. Best workround is, after closing Resolve, to go into the Task Manager and stop it running there.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

AUROCH

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 4:54 am

Thanks for yr reply, Charles, but I did say that after closing Resolve I went to the Task Manager and there were no other applications or instances (other than Win standard background processes, and those nearly all at 0 cpu and Ram usage) ones)running, including Resolve
All other programs can be started and run OK at this stage, but not Resolve.

I do notice that sometimes I can start Resolve again after closing and it may be that it could be failing to start only after exporting a project, then closing or by first starting Resolve up by clicking on a DRVS project in explorer.. When I have time I shall check on this more fully

I have also checked the DVRS log file, but that does not show any obvious anomalies either

PS: My Win10 Pro version is upgrade stuck at 1909 , it seems that Win10 system non defender updates do not like the MSI 2080Ti11GB card driver , as it updated to major updates before I added that card....but maybe thats a good thing seeing as how Msoft have had major problems with later upgrades since that one

JOHN BYERS

John

pinthenet

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Did you click on 'More details' on the lower left of the Task Manager? This reveals background processes. The Resolve 'Apps' entry disappears quite quickly but is shown as a 'Background process' for some time and may need killing there.
[size=85]
Laptop: Intel i7-10750H/32GB/RTX2060-6GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
Windows 10 Home; NVIDIA 536.67 Studio; Resolve+Fusion 18.5

Return to DaVinci Resolve