Prores on SD card for Pocket 4K

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Lee Mackreath

Prores on SD card for Pocket 4K

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 3:34 pm

Afternoon all

As above - would like to know peoples experince in using sd cards to shoot prores rather than braw on the pocket 4k - what has worked/hasnt worked...

I am stuck in fcp x land so ideally would like to stay with prores to edit direct in fcp x

Ellory Yu

Re: Prores on SD card for Pocket 4K

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 3:03 pm

I don't have the Pocket 4k but I own the Pocket 6K and UMP G2, both have the SD Card option and I will assume the P4K works the same.
For personal projects, I am very happy using the SD card option, particularly with ProRes. The cards I used works well for Prores and has the advantage of being inexpensive. I used the SanDisk Extreme Pro 256Gb cards (which cost around $65), and have used the 128Gb and 64Gb ones too. Recording in Prores 422 LT and Proxy, I get a lot of mileage, have never encountered a dropped frame, plus I had a few SD cards laying around from my Sony and Panny cams. I have recorded in 4K UHD @24fps and it worked too. But most of the time, I'm just recording in HD @ 24fps which are more than enough for I need them for. So no bad experience here with the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards. I have not tried other cards so no comment there.
Just as an aside, I have too successfully recorded BRAW 8:1 and 12:1, and Q5 in 2.8K and 2KDCI @ 24fps as well.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Getting Started