Which codec to play on Hyperdeck Studio Mini

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Todd-Lane

Which codec to play on Hyperdeck Studio Mini

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 12:44 am

Hi,

I am running Davinci on a windows machine and was wondering what codec to use when say exporting a small file that acts as a lower third (with transparency) Project is 4k29.97

Ive tried a couple different ones and after uploading via ftp to the HSM, no files appear on the atem switcher software or on the HSM's screen.

Thanks

Todd

Todd-Lane

Re: Which codec to play on Hyperdeck Studio Mini

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 11:11 am

For a company that very tightly integrates its products, I'm surprised what an effort it is to create a video file from Resolve to play on the Hyperdeck Studio Mini. Particularly as a windows user.

Ive discovered that the recording setting when setting up HSM is important even to playing back a video (even though I may never use it as a recorder).

Seems like we need a table that links Codecs on HSM to Resolve Delivery Options

As a windows user I want to use DNx.... and since I require a resolution of 3840 x 2160 @ 29.97fps (sometimes with an alpha channel for lower thirds), I believe my options from HSM are

DNxHR 220x MXF
DNxHR 145 MXF
DNxHR 45 MXF
DNxHR HQX QT
DNxHR HQX MXF
DNxHR SQ QT
DNxHR SQ MXF
DNxHR LB QT
DNxHR LB MXF

Is there such a table that says for example for codec DNxHR HQX QT, render using settings xyz in Resolve?

I am also using a Sony A6400 (8 bit) into an Atomos Ninja V and realise that some of these codecs would be a waste due to my 8 bit limit.

Thanks in advance

Todd

Return to Getting Started