Resolve 16 download page does not work correctly in Chrome

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

eSonOfAnder

Resolve 16 download page does not work correctly in Chrome

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 5:24 am

Hi all,

Waiting for Tony to update my username to my real name, since this apparently can't be done ourselves for some reason.

There are a couple of issues with the Resolve 16 download page:
  • The download page does not work properly in Chrome. After filling out all of the required fields and hitting download, the "Please read the TOS" text bit changes to red, and even after clicking on the link, the download button does nothing. Looking through the developer console and the source code that can be seen deobfuscated here, there is apparently a checkbox that is supposed to render on that screen, and this does not happen on Chrome. It is possible to click around in that area randomly until you manage to hit the non-rendered checkbox and continue on, but that is clearly not a real solution.
  • The final question on the registration form is nonsensical. "What features should we add to DaVinci Resolve?" You are literally asking someone who has not even downloaded your program, much less installed and used it, what features should be ADDED? The absurdity levels of having this question here are astronomical.
Needless to say, as a brand new user looking to check out the program, having this be the immediate first experience even attempting to download the program is not a good look, and does not leave a positive first impression.

Thanks,
Erin

Charles Bennett

Re: Resolve 16 download page does not work correctly in Chro

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 10:16 am

Never had a problem with Chrome in the four years of using Resolve. Just checked and it's still working fine. The question about features is not absurd. It's for returning users downloading a newer version. There is no requirement to put anything in it.
Never seen the line "Please read the TOS". When I click Register and Download it asks where to save the file, I tell it and the download proceeds. I take it you are downloading from the Blackmagic website?
Attachments
Resolve Download.jpg
Resolve Download.jpg (136.23 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Resolve Download2.jpg
Resolve Download2.jpg (180.43 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Resolve Download3.jpg
Resolve Download3.jpg (155.39 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Resolve 16.2.7.008 (free)
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 4 core @ 3.60GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX1060/6GB (452.06 Studio), Win 10 Home-18363, 2 Screens
Pro Tools 2018.4
Dell Workstation, 2 X 4 core Xeon , 16GB ECC RAM, GTX650, Win 7 Ultimate, Digi 002R, 3 Screens

eSonOfAnder

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 4:15 am

OK, well apparently there is zero way for me to show you what other people actually see when they attempt to download the program for the first time. I have no way of posting URLs in any way shape or form without some level of extreme obfuscation.

Go to the main Davinci Resolve page (can't link you to it, sorry, I can't post ANY URLs; also can't provide an image, can't link ANY. URLs. even in the img tag)

Click the big Download button in the middle of the page.

Click Windows under Davinci Resolve 16.

Fill out the required fields and click Register and Download.

The text above the Register and Download button turns red, and nothing happens. Repeated clicking of the button does nothing. If you look in the Developer Console at the details of the page contents, you can see that there is supposed to be a checkbox rendered in there somewhere that does not exist. If you click around that text field randomly, you might manage to hit where that checkbox is supposed to go, and the text will turn grey. If that happens, you can then hit the Register and Download button to download the file.

This is a 100% issue, happens every time across multiple PCs, and has happened across multiple versions of Chrome.

Re: the absurd question, if the question //is// intended for "returning customers", then don't put it on the same page that literally every single person goes to in order to download the program for the first time. It is eighteen levels of absurd where it is, and makes zero sense in the context that it exists on that page, regardless of it being a required field. If you're looking for additional feature feedback, that belongs within a survey form that is surfaced within the program itself after a non-zero amount of time has been spent using the program, NOT before someone has even opened the program for the first time.

Charles Bennett

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 10:26 pm

The pics I posted are exactly what I see every time I download a version of Resolve, and has been for the last four years with Chrome, using the sequence you have outlined. I don't need to look at the developer console to find a checkbox I don't need.
I would suggest you have a look at how you have Chrome set up.
As to what you call the absurd question, that page appears every time you do a download, not just the first time. It is only bypassed if you are downloading the Studio version. I cannot see why it is causing you so much distress.
The pics shows the BM download page. I click on Windows and I get the registration page. Then pressing Register and Download I get the screens shown in my last post.
Download Screen.jpg
Download Screen.jpg (339.92 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Download Screen 1.jpg
Download Screen 1.jpg (152.68 KiB) Viewed 82 times

So, it has to be you, your computer, or your Chrome set up, sorry.
You won't be able to post any URLs until you have a certain number of posts.
Resolve 16.2.7.008 (free)
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 4 core @ 3.60GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX1060/6GB (452.06 Studio), Win 10 Home-18363, 2 Screens
Pro Tools 2018.4
Dell Workstation, 2 X 4 core Xeon , 16GB ECC RAM, GTX650, Win 7 Ultimate, Digi 002R, 3 Screens

Return to Getting Started