Video Assist audio record levels too low

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

wolffworkshop

Video Assist audio record levels too low

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 3:40 pm

Hi all, I have a 7" 12G Video Assist and something seems to have happened to the audio record input levels.
I don't ever recall there being an issue before but now regardless of set up I cannot use it.
I've updated to the latest firmware, rolled back to the previous firmware and changed mics and leads and inputs. Despite this I cannot get a signal in above -30db. The input level slider seems to make no difference. Phantom is on when appropriate and all equipment checks out ok when hooked up directly to the camera or a field recorder. I cannot fathom what's going on. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thanks, Ben

wolffworkshop

Re: Video Assist audio record levels too low

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 9:01 am

So it looks like a firmware issue as you have to go back to 3.2 to get things working again properly. I'm massively surprised that no one that's read my original post has either not used their VA for audio recording, or has not updated the firmware from 3.2 and found this themselves.

Return to Getting Started