Big Sur and UltraStudio/DeckLink devices

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

ewerickson

Big Sur and UltraStudio/DeckLink devices

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 5:25 pm

I have Desktop Video 12.0 up and going. Zoom, Skype, Wirecaster, etc. all see the Ultra Studio Mini Recorder. Quicktime, however, only sees it as audio, and not as a camera. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

thiselton

Re: Quicktime, Big Sur, and Ultra Studio Mini

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 5:34 pm

I'm having the same issue with my Ultrastudio Mini since upgrading to Big Sur. I can't seem to get input to work in any app, QuickTime, Davinci, Primiere, or media express. Any idea for a fix?

prototype512

UltraStudio Recorder 3G and Big Sur

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 3:07 am

Failed to check compatibility before upgrading to Big Sur. Now my UltraStudio Recorder 3G is black. I installed the 12.0 beta and still no luck. Any other users having this issue? Any other users found a work around until an official release resolves the issue?

aronlmin

UltraStudio Mini Recorder unrecognized after big sur...

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 7:28 am

After upgrading to Big Sur, my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) no longer recognizes my UltraStudio Mini Recorder

UltraStudio Mini Recorder:

Vendor Name: Blackmagic Design
Device Name: UltraStudio Mini Recorder
Vendor ID: 0x4
Device ID: 0xA129
Device Revision: 0x1
UID: 0x000400000089DF20
Route String: 1
Firmware Version: 7.2
Port (Upstream):
Link Status: 0x2
Speed: Up to 10 Gb/s x1
Port Micro Firmware Version: 0.2.5
Cable Firmware Version: 1.0.16
Cable Serial Number: C4M715202XPF798AM

Edit:
I am running Desktop Video 12.0 Beta 1 - Released Nov 13, 2020
Last edited by aronlmin on Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

JasonS

Desktop Video Setup Issues on Mac

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 9:42 am

Hi,

I am hoping someone can assist on this but after upgrading to Big Sur and multiple attempts upgrading, downgrading and re-upgrading the Desktop Video Setup software to the version Desktop Video 12.0 Beta 1. The desktop video setup will still not recognize any of my Ultrastudio Mini Recorders or Mini Monitors.

When checking the "system information" tool, my Mac Book Pro sees the mini-recorders and mini-monitors as connected and named correctly, but no such luck on Desktop Video Setup.

Am I missing something or is the software upgrade useless?

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 12.39.04.jpg
Current Set Up
Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 12.39.04.jpg (606.15 KiB) Viewed 3141 times

Paul Frederick

Re: Desktop Video Setup Issues on Mac

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 3:22 am

I am having this exact issue with a new iMAC I am trying to hook up today. It worked fine on my old one running all the same exact software. No idea why now it won't see it?

Mark Foster

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 11:46 am

do you have allowed to load the driver in security system preference?
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB 860pro/4x4TB HGST/SSD7101A 4x2TB 970evoplus/HP1344/BMD4k/Radeon VII
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB 860pro/wingsX1 2TB 970evoplus/titanridgeTB3/HP1344/Radeon VII
Pocket4k speedbooster ultra
macOS 10.14.6 and macOS 11

Paul Frederick

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 12:16 pm

That's exactly what it was, thank you! Works great now.

Derfla

Re: UltraStudio Mini Recorder unrecognized after big sur...

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 8:36 pm

Have you updated the BMD Software on your PC to the latest version?

aronlmin

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 6:01 am

Derfla wrote:Have you updated the BMD Software on your PC to the latest version?

yes, I am running Desktop Video 12.0 Beta 1 - Released Nov 13, 2020

Derfla

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 2:39 pm

aronlmin wrote:
Derfla wrote:Have you updated the BMD Software on your PC to the latest version?

yes, I am running Desktop Video 12.0 Beta 1 - Released Nov 13, 2020

Hmm, that's odd. I use the UltraStudio Mini Recorder (3G version), and upgraded to Big Sur. I had to update the Desktop Video software to 12.0. At first it didn't work because the video input was set to SDI and my connection was HDMI. Have you checked that? I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but these things are easy to overlook.

yevcherny

macOS Big Sur and UltraStudio Mini Recorder

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 4:47 pm

After automatic OS update of Big Sur, UltraStudio Mini Recorder is not seen by MacPro.
updated drivers on MacPro to latest, 12.01 for Desktop Video. that did not help. any suggestions?
Currently software works on old Mac, with driver 10.5.1

randmann

No Capture Device detected on Mac mini M1

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 10:13 am

I have installed macOS 11.0.1 on a Mac mini with M1 processor

I installed Desktop Video 12.0.beta1

Connected is a UltraStudio 4K Mini that is shown in the system profiler.

But Desktop video shows "No Desktop Video Device Detected"

What can I do ?
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 10.28.12.png
Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 10.28.12.png (632.29 KiB) Viewed 2444 times

ccelis

MacOs BigSur does not recognize BlackMagic Desig UltraStudio

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 5:22 pm

I have a macmini with S.O Catalina running with blacmagic Design UltraStudio Express, when I update the operating system to MacOs BigSur 11.0.1 it no longer recognizes the device, what should I do? Why did this happen?

fahne001

Re: Big Sur and UltraStudio devices

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 11:43 pm

Has anyone found a solution to Utrastudio stop working when Big Sur is installed. Worked beautifully prior to install. Do not see that anyone here has posted a solution???

TIA!

randmann

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 10:32 am

Mark Foster wrote:do you have allowed to load the driver in security system preference?

Yes. But issue still there..

shamer

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Same, same, same..... going nuts here. Cannot get Desktop Video to recognize Ultrastudio Mini Monitor on MBP 13" M1 chip, Big Sur 11.0.1. with Desktop Video 12.0b1.

Spent all day installing & uninstalling, changing security settings, etc., etc., etc. Yes, I've clicked "allow" in Security Settings. No luck.

Every other TB device works along the path, USMM lights up white light around TB port when plugged in. Tried it by itself with no other device in chain directly from Appple TB3 to TB2 adapter, no luck. Tried different TB cables, no luck. Tried numerous restarts, no luck.

Ugh.
--
2020 M1 MacBook Pro | I7 Desktop PC
Production/Post Production Professional since 1994

ewerickson

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 7:45 pm

I'm still at a loss.

It literally works with everything from Skype to Zoom, but not Quicktime. Quicktime will let me use it as an audio input, but not a camera.

Lexrun

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 2:30 pm

Same here! MacMini M1

shamer wrote:Same, same, same..... going nuts here. Cannot get Desktop Video to recognize Ultrastudio Mini Monitor on MBP 13" M1 chip, Big Sur 11.0.1. with Desktop Video 12.0b1.

Spent all day installing & uninstalling, changing security settings, etc., etc., etc. Yes, I've clicked "allow" in Security Settings. No luck.

Every other TB device works along the path, USMM lights up white light around TB port when plugged in. Tried it by itself with no other device in chain directly from Appple TB3 to TB2 adapter, no luck. Tried different TB cables, no luck. Tried numerous restarts, no luck.

Ugh.

NCTechGuy

DeckLink Quad 2 and Apple M1 Macbook Air

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi Folks,

I did a search and didn't seem to find anything clear/specific to this situation. I have a StarTech enclosure with a DeckLink Quad 2 card in it. It works fine on my Intel Macbook Air. When I moved it to my Apple M1 Macbook Air, it isn't being seen by the Desktop Video Setup app. I did download and install v12.0 Beta 1 and that seemed fine. The MBAir does show the StarTech device on the Thunderbolt bus.

Any ideas? Some magic incantation I need to recite?

rope man

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 12:01 am

Same problem with me. After all the nightmare problems of updating from Catalina only Blackmagic manages to keep its drivers despite a wiping of data from a clean install of Big Sur. Anyway the first test after removing old drivers is naturally with QuickTime - nothing working. But the main value of the Blackmagic equipment is to allow Superwide lenses on ENG camera to enhance possibilities for online learning. Fortunately I plug in my UltraStudio Mini Recorder (which BM appears to have disowned as a model) to Zoom and hey presto I am online and can use my laptop 20cms from the lens and appear to be operating in the comfort of a large room (actually 3 metres by 2 metres) and operate my laptop without appearing up the students nostril in their bedroom - learning may proceed. Thanks BM I hope the next Desktop Video software does not take a week to work imperfectly .
Perhaps the QuickTime solution will come soon Best

NCTechGuy

Re: DeckLink Quad 2 and Apple M1 Macbook Air

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 3:03 pm

I hate to reply to my own post, but I did finally figure this out! The issue was that the BM driver was not loading due to a change in BigSur. I had to reboot the machine while holding the TouchID button to enable System Extensions to be managed by the user. Once I did that (and rebooted again), I was able to approve the installation of the driver and everything is up and running.

Landeros

Ultra Studio Recorder 3G

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 6:33 pm

I have a new MacBook Air with MI Processor, and I have connected an Ultrastudio Recorder 3G, I have installed the software update Desktop video 12.0 Beta 1 and my divide does not work.
I have my device connected with a USB 3 cable and The Desktop video setup program has the following message. No desktop Video device Detected. and my computer has the following message.
No se puede usar el accesorio
Conecta el accesorio a un puerto Thunderbolt de este Mac

The questions is My device has an USB3 Port the same as my MacBook Air. can it work with a simple USB3 to USB3 Cable or I have to use an adapter ?

Lexrun

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 10:26 am

Be sure to use a genuine (Apple) Thunderbolt 3 cable. And update your Big Sur to the latest version. That did the trick for me.

Derfla

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 4:30 pm

Lexrun wrote:Be sure to use a genuine (Apple) Thunderbolt 3 cable. And update your Big Sur to the latest version. That did the trick for me.

This is an excellent point, but it is not a requirement to have an "Apple" Branded thunderbolt 3 cable. The mistake I made initially (before the Big Sure upgrade), was I used the Apple power cable thinking it would work :? Quite a few people have made that same mistake.

I purchased the following cable from Amazon and it works perfectly. Whichever cable you choose, just make sure it's Thunderbolt 3 Certified. Keep in mind that Apple does not manufacture its own cables. Any Thunderbolt 3 Certified cable will work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R4 ... UTF8&psc=1

dylanjenkinson

Desktop Video 12.0 not detecting UltraStudio Recorder 3G

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 9:41 pm

Hi, this is my first time posting on a support forum, so go easy.

I'm on an Intel MacBook Pro (15inch 2018 model, 2.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7), and just upgraded to Big Sur 11.1.

I bought a UltraStudio Recorder 3G and did the install of Desktop Video 12.0, but the ALLOW button under Preferences - Security & Privacy - General did not pop up. I uninstalled and tried 11.7, but nada there either. The software runs, but when I plug in the UltraStudio Recorder 3G, it's the typical No Desktop Video Device Detected.

Yes, I've made sure the cable I'm using is T3, not USB.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled about 15 times, and also tried a lot of other things mentioned on these forums (changing overall security settings in the terminal), but NOTHING. I've called Apple support as I thought the ALLOW button not showing up might be a known issue with Big Sur and third party software, and they didn't really know and redirected me back to the software supplier.

HELP! From what I'm seeing here on the forums it seems individual owners of Intel Big Sur macbooks are being left to sort this out themselves, with varying success rates. I'd really like to get this up and working.

Thanks!

rope man

Re: Big Sur and UltraStudio/DeckLink devices

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 3:53 am

Yes I’m concerned Blackmagic is not doing anything to help us.
I’ve now found that the Big Sur 12.1 Desktop Setup App driver is not working properly in Zoom
The sound is not being recognised when external Blackmagic camera is recognised. Also the Mac camera light is switched on still when the external Blackmagic is chosen
Finally as Blackmagic is not recognised by QuickTime anymore other software using QuickTime cannot be used with a Blackmagic camera
Is anyone from Blackmagic monitoring this forum?

Return to Getting Started