Big Sur and UltraStudio/DeckLink devices

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Pahlevan

Re: Big Sur and UltraStudio/DeckLink devices

PostTue Jul 13, 2021 3:13 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Pahlevan wrote:After you install the Desktop Video, do not restart the computer till it ask you for permission of privacy for some apps.

Then go to Privacy > Firewall Options ( should unlock to activate) > +
and add Desktop video setup.app.

That's it.

Nope. That ain't working either.

I've not uninstalled Desktop Video with the included uninstall app. I've then removed the BlackmagicIO.kext and DeckLink_Driver.kext via the Terminal.

I then reinstalled 12.1. It never alerted me to any extension changes nor did it ask me to enable any permissions. I then opened the System Pref / Security & Privacy and there were no permissions waiting to be enabled. Checked to see it if Desktop Video Setup had Files and Folder access and it's listed as having access.

Launch the Desktop Video Setup and it sees my UltraStudio Mini Monitor (which is connected via an Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adaptor). All settings are accessible.

Reboot and Desktop Video Setup no longer sees my UltraStudio Mini Monitor.

I then tried installing 11.7. This time I was alerted that System Extensions had changed and I need to give them permission. Opened System Prefs and gave permission to Blackmagic Inc.

Reboot and Desktop Video Setup no longer sees my UltraStudio Mini Monitor. Sigh

So I then tried installing 12.1. This time I was alerted that System Extensions had changed and I need to give them permission. Opened System Prefs and gave permission to Blackmagic Inc.

Reboot and Desktop Video Setup no longer sees my UltraStudio Mini Monitor. Sigh

So I still have no access to the UltraStudio Mini Monitor.

Please consider that you should add permission in the Firewall setting! by adding exception for Desktop Video Setup.

adamroberts

PostTue Jul 13, 2021 3:26 pm

Pahlevan wrote:Please consider that you should add permission in the Firewall setting! by adding exception for Desktop Video Setup.

You can't add permissions for apps un Firewall.
Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 16.25.27.png
Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 16.25.27.png (112.73 KiB) Viewed 39099 times

bbrighton

PostWed Jul 14, 2021 2:21 pm

Adam, have you looked at the process I posted recently? There seems to be two related problems overall.

1) Getting the kexts authorized (a UI dance that is overly complicated and seemingly timing-dependent)
2) Convincing the system that that's the case to they can load (a system dance that appears to be unexpectedly fragile)

I think the attempt to manually load the kext (in the interim) may either get you working or give a more concrete path to doing so.

sdonohue1994

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 2:08 pm

semaj4712 wrote:I had this issue and talked with customer support today. Give this a try. Open Terminal and type the following command

WARNING Only do this if you actually know what you are doing, and I am not responsible if this does not work for you. Also please note that I am using Desktop Video 12.1 and this may or may not work in other releases.

Code: Select all
sudo kextutil /library/extensions/blackmagicio.kext

It will prompt you for your password

Afterwards your devices will show up in Desktop Video and other applications (Except quicktime which is strange)

Customer Service did say a fix for this would be coming in Desktop Video 12.2

This worked perfectly! Thank you! :D

Pkodyssey

UltraStudio 3G Recorder and BigSur

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 11:52 pm

Had an iMac upgrade to BigSur now my UltraStudio 3G Recorder isn’t recognized by the Blackmagic Desktop v12.1

I have tried a number of the fixes mentioned here and on YouTube without luck.

Any ideas to get me back up and running. I am feeding my camera via HDMI to the UltraStudio 3G Recorder then via Thunderbolt 3 to my iMac.

If this is not supported than what thunderbolt device will work in a similar way without breaking the bank.

Uli Plank

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 3:36 pm

It should work. Did you enable kernel extensions? I had to do this and and now my Monitor 3G works.
I don't see why it's not the same with the recorder.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

kylekramb

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 7:49 pm

Ok, lots of hair pulling here as well. I have the Ultrastudio 4k Thunderbolt 2. Running it on an 2017 iMac Pro with only T3 inputs. I tried a number of things but what finally (seems to) work is:

1) Uninstall all old versions and preferences
2) install Desktop Video v 11.7
3) use the terminal command quoted above "sudo kextutil /library/extensions/blackmagicio.kext"

Originally I did this with Desktop Video 12.1 and I had to run the Terminal command after every restart.

Several reboots and it all still seems to be working.

I think this issue is mainly someing to do with Big Sur as I had a similar problem on a different machine using an Aja IO, although AJA was a bit more helpful in resolving.

zaneellis wrote:Hey Everyone,

I have been reading here to help find a solution for my situation as well. I made an account just to post this current fragile workaround.

On my 2019 iMac, I am using desktop video 12.1, and OS X Big Sur 11.4 currently and a fresh install of the desktop video software will recognize my Decklink Duo 2 card as long as I don't restart the computer after install.

I keep the 12.1 installer file on my desktop, and I run the installer after every startup, but DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO RESTART THE COMPUTER. If the computer needs to be shut down or restarted I just uninstall and install 12.1 Desktop video again and it will work until you restart.

Uli Plank

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 3:56 pm

Ho did you connect TB2 to the TB3 computer?
The only device that works for me is the AKiTiO T3T, and they don't make it any more.

adamroberts

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 9:33 am

Uli Plank wrote:Ho did you connect TB2 to the TB3 computer?
The only device that works for me is the AKiTiO T3T, and they don't make it any more.

I've been using the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adaptor and has worked just fun until now.

Lindkold

DeckLink Mini Monitor NOT working on Big Sur 11.5.2

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 11:49 am

After the latest update to Big Sur - ver. 11.5.2 - suddenly my external monitor connected via "DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K" had no signal.

The Desktop Video Setup app showed "No Devices Found" - also at the same time - my extra internal SSD and two external spinning HDD - did not show up in Finder.

My solution to getting the disks back online was:
1) Uninstall "Desktop Video Setup" - remove Decklink Card - Reboot
2) Install DeckLink Card + install "Desktop Video Setup" - BUT DO NOT REBOOT.

The second I install "Desktop Video Setup" the SSD/HDD's shows up in finder!?
Also the Desktop Video Setup finds the DeckLink Mini Monitor.
But the external monitor does still not show any signal (since it hasn't rebooted af installing the Desktop Video Setup app).

But at least I get my SSD/HDD's back- Until I reboot!? Then I have to do the whole thing one more time.

What a giant mess - Davinci/Mac has never been so unreliable before as since v. 17.

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 10:43 am

Something must be wrong with your system.
For me, 17.2.2 under Big Sur has been more reliable than ever, both on Intel and on M1 hardware.

Did you make a clean install of the system? I know it's a drag, but not that hard with the Migration Assistant. I made it a habit over the years to do a clean install for a major system update and found that such a general clean-up makes your system much more reliable by erasing all old leftovers hanging around somewhere.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 11:08 pm

Have you tried opening a Terminal window and typing:

sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Lindkold

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 7:50 am

Uli Plank wrote:Something must be wrong with your system.
For me, 17.2.2 under Big Sur has been more reliable than ever, both on Intel and on M1 hardware.

Did you make a clean install of the system? I know it's a drag, but not that hard with the Migration Assistant. I made it a habit over the years to do a clean install for a major system update and found that such a general clean-up makes your system much more reliable by erasing all old leftovers hanging around somewhere.

Yes, I actually did nuke my entire system and made a complete fresh install.

I also opened a support case with Apple, ran one of their diagnostics tools and send the report to them.They escalated the case to their engineers and came back with no issues on my system. So it's a BM thing.

The second I install "Desktop Video Setup 12.1" I can see my RAID drives. When I reboot, they all disappear again until I reinstall "Desktop Video Setup". And I still can't see my external monitor.

When I install "Desktop Video Setup 12.0" I can see my RAID drives after a reboot. But Davinci still won't play on my external monitor.

I have reached out to BM support and are waiting for a response from them. Hopefully they are aware and able to help.
Last edited by Lindkold on Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lindkold

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 7:51 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Have you tried opening a Terminal window and typing:

Yes, rebooted and tried again with Desktop Video Setup v. 12.0 . That might have done the trick because now the external monitor gets a signal. Thank you very much.

RodHassler

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Is there any update when this might be fixed (via v12.2 or however?) I can't get any of these fixes or workarounds to work for me. Is there an option that works NOW I should replace my UltraStudio Mini Monitor with? Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
OS X El Capitan
v10.11.6

iMac Retina 5k late 2015
Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M396X 4096 MB
Resolve 12.5.0.052

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 10:13 pm

Current Desktop Video versions may not be El Cap compatible.

Try Desktop Video 10.9.5 and see if that works.

Make sure you uninstall any current Desktop Video version that's installed, before you install 10.9.5.
Dwaine Maggart

KatCaverly

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 5:18 pm

I don't know if this will help anyone else but I did get Desktop Video 12.1 to work on my system, macOS 11.6 with an UltraStudio 4K Mini.

I had the same problems that I see in many threads with "No Desktop Video Device Detected". I called BM and together we came to the conclusion I would have to follow the Terminal steps suggested by other users with similar problems. Unfortunately I ran into a permissions issue and couldn't delete the files.

So I decided to reinstall from a backup and go back to where I was before installing 12.1 of Desktop Video.

The macOS now has two backups, one for the system and one for the data (applications etc). I expected to reinstall the OS and then have to reinstall the data, but unlike in the past, the reinstall of the OS didn't require a wipe of the drive, so when it all restarted I had macOS 11.6 AND BM Desktop Video 12.1 installed, and it was now recognizing the UltraStudio 4K Mini.

Maybe this will help someone else on.
Resolve Studio 18.1.3
macOS 13.3.1
16-core Mac Pro, 256GB RAM, Radeon Pro VII, 1TB SSD
8TB and 4TB OWC Accelsior 4M2 (PCIe) RAID 0
ext drives for backups/data
BMPCC 4K and 6K, UltraStudio 4K Mini, FSI DM240, Mini Panel, Editor Keyboard
Big Knob Studio

GlennKenny

DeckLink driver not loading on M1 Mac

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi,
I cannot get the DeckLink driver to load on an M1 Mac mini running the beta 7 macOS 12. It worked fine under all other betas, after reinstalling the driver. Now it won't load after reinstalling. The system is set for reduced security in the Security Policy for Macintosh HD. The setting is "Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers"

Any thoughts?

Glenn

dbeard85

PostFri Oct 01, 2021 8:21 pm

KatCaverly wrote:I don't know if this will help anyone else but I did get Desktop Video 12.1 to work on my system, macOS 11.6 with an UltraStudio 4K Mini.

I had the same problems that I see in many threads with "No Desktop Video Device Detected". I called BM and together we came to the conclusion I would have to follow the Terminal steps suggested by other users with similar problems. Unfortunately I ran into a permissions issue and couldn't delete the files.

So I decided to reinstall from a backup and go back to where I was before installing 12.1 of Desktop Video.

The macOS now has two backups, one for the system and one for the data (applications etc). I expected to reinstall the OS and then have to reinstall the data, but unlike in the past, the reinstall of the OS didn't require a wipe of the drive, so when it all restarted I had macOS 11.6 AND BM Desktop Video 12.1 installed, and it was now recognizing the UltraStudio 4K Mini.

Maybe this will help someone else on.

Kat, we have almost identical systems. When Desktop Video was showing no connected devices, were you able see the card on your PCI card list in "about this mac" or system report? I have a Decklink Studio 4k that I just purchased, and I can't even get it to show up in my system report.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 3:01 am

Have you tried:

Dwaine Maggart

westminsterpca

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 7:52 pm

Hey there, I updated my Mac to Big Sur 11.6 and now it does not recognize my connections to my Decklink Duo. I have the Desktop Video Setup updated to version 12.1. I have two PCI expansion chasis. One of them is a Thunderbolt 2 and the other a Thunderbolt 3 connection. I've tried both and neither work. I have an older Mac that is not updated to the newest Big Sur (I think it's 11.2) and that one still works fine. I'm using the Decklinks to send lyrics and graphics to projectors and ATEM switcher for live stream for my church.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue? Thank you.

KatCaverly

PostThu Oct 07, 2021 4:32 pm

dbeard85 wrote:Kat, we have almost identical systems. When Desktop Video was showing no connected devices, were you able see the card on your PCI card list in "about this mac" or system report? I have a Decklink Studio 4k that I just purchased, and I can't even get it to show up in my system report.

I have an UltraStudio 4K Mini (thunderbolt connection), and yes I was able to see it was connected before I reinstalled the macOS, even though Desktop Video was throwing the no connected devices error.
Resolve Studio 18.1.3
macOS 13.3.1
16-core Mac Pro, 256GB RAM, Radeon Pro VII, 1TB SSD
8TB and 4TB OWC Accelsior 4M2 (PCIe) RAID 0
ext drives for backups/data
BMPCC 4K and 6K, UltraStudio 4K Mini, FSI DM240, Mini Panel, Editor Keyboard
Big Knob Studio

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 07, 2021 9:43 pm

@Ryan: In the Mac System Report, do you see the DeckLink Duo in the Thunderbolt section?

If so, do you also see it in the PCI section?

Have you tried entering this into Terminal:

Dwaine Maggart

bradm413

PostFri Oct 08, 2021 8:20 pm

This is from BlackMagic for M1 Macs. Maybe it will help some people:

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... nM1Mac.pdf

gabrielborja

Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 8:56 pm

So I am having what seems to be a common problem, but can't find a solution.

MacBook Pro M1 Big Sur
Desktop Video 12.1
Ultrastudio mini recorder with adapter.

So I need to use this mini recorder as we use diferente laptops. It works great on the other Big Sur but not on our new one.

The curious thing is that If I open Mac System Rerpot inside about my Mac. I can see under the Thunderbolt input the Mini Recorder recognized, but the Desktop will not connect to it.

Any Help will be awesome.

Grace and Peace
Attachments
Blackmagic.jpg
Blackmagic.jpg (713.74 KiB) Viewed 29547 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 4:23 pm

Enter this into Terminal:

Does that make it work?
Dwaine Maggart

gabrielborja

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 3:32 pm

Still not working. :roll:

When I use this mini recorder this happens when connected to my other laptop. Is there anyway to download those files?
Attachments
Blackmagic.jpg
Blackmagic.jpg (534.2 KiB) Viewed 29142 times

Ned Soltz

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 11:40 am

Updated to Big Sur so that I could install latest FCP X 10.6. Then got the dreaded no desktop video.... It actually found the card once in Resolve 17.4 but then quit.

MacPro 2019 with Decklink Extreme 4K 12g and Desktop Video 12.1

After about 2 hours of installing, uninstalling and attempting to reach tech support, came across methodology on the web.

Rebooted into Recovery mode and disabled the security chip with terminal command csrutil disable.

Then back into system and removed 2 .kext files with terminal. Reinstalled 11.7 at this point. Recognizes card.

Went back to Recovery mode and enabled the security chip. Now does not recognize the card. And no security warning to allow the extension to load. Back to Recovery mode and disabled chip again. Now it recognizes the card.

Not thrilled with Apple's security chip protocol nor am I thrilled running without security chip enabled.

Hoping for some wisdom here.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 8:35 pm

Try Desktop Video 12.2 that was just released. It should address this issue.
Dwaine Maggart

Studio 12

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 6:13 pm

Desktop Video 12.2 will not detect as well. Same issue

p4pictures

Intensity Extreme to MacBook with Big Sur - is is possible

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 9:24 am

I have an old - massively reliable - Intensity Extreme. I use it to capture menu screens from cameras, it's worked brilliantly over the years on a MacBook & Mac mini with Thunderbolt 2 ports.

Now I'm trying to use it on a MacBook with USB-C ports. So I purchased the Apple USB to TB2 adapter. MacBook is running Big Sur. Downloaded Desktop video 12.2 and installed.

From the Apple system info I can see the Intensity is connected and the LED on it is lit... But Desktop video setup & Media Express simply show no device connected.

Simple question, is it time to bid farewell to the old Intensity Extreme, or does it still have a workable future?

Mark Foster

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 5:51 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Try Desktop Video 12.2 that was just released. It should address this issue.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144265#p799795
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

kawowski

PostSat Oct 30, 2021 9:51 am

Dax Roggio wrote:The only way to avoid the “No Desktop Video Device Detected” problem was to completely uninstall 12.1, including disabling System Integrity Protection in order to the delete the stuck StagedExtensions files, and then reinstall 11.7.

I’m running the latest everything, currently macOS Big Sur 11.4 and Resolve Studio 17.2.2.

Hi Dax, I did exactly what you did, and my Big Sur recognises my Mini Monitor in Desktop Video / System Prefs, however I cannot get Resolve 17 to display on my monitor. Everything used to work two days ago before I did Big Sur upgrade so I'm sure that the TB2 cable, HDMI cable and monitor are all OK. Just somehow the signal from Resolve via Mini Monitor is not happening.

MBPro Intel, OS 11.6.1, Resolve Studio 17.3, Blackmagic Desktop 11.7

Any ideas I can look at?

kawowski

PostSun Oct 31, 2021 12:47 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Try Desktop Video 12.2 that was just released. It should address this issue.

Hi Dwaine, I have a MacBook Pro (Intel) Big Sur 11.6.1 + Resolve 17.3 + Blackmagic Desktop Video Macintosh 11.7 installed. Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup can see my UltraStudio Mini Monitor OK. But I can no longer get Resolve to display an image on my monitor (The same setup worked fine before updating to Big Sur, so I'm confident that my TB2 cable, Mini Monitor, HDMI cable and monitor all work fine). Somehow Resolve cannot send the required signal through that setup to my monitor.

If I install Desktop Video 12.2 as you suggest on my Intel MacBook Pro, do you think that may help? I read elsewhere that 12.2 was only for M1 machines?

Any suggestions much appreciated. I love using the UltraStudio Mini Monitor and I have work to do! :shock: :D

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 6:19 am

Desktop Video 12.2 is absolutely not just for M1 machines. It addresses a Big Sur issue on any Mac.

You say Desktop Video Setup sees your UltraStudio Mini Monitor.

If you go into Resolve Preferences - System - Video and Audio I/O, is the Mini Monitor selected there?

If it is, what happens if you launch Resolve and play a timeline? Does it play normally, and you just don't see it out of the Mini Monitor connected display? Or does it hang?
Dwaine Maggart

thomasberglund

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 9:59 am

Can't get Decklink 4K Extreme 12G working on a M1 Mac mini either, using macOS Big Sur 11.6 and Blackmagic Desktop Video 12.2, with the Decklink card mounted in a Sonnet Thunderbolt chassis. Only way to get it working, is to revert back to Desktop Video 12.1 with a Kernel Extension approved in the Security settings in System Preferences. However, the latest version of Adobe Premiere Pro for M1 does not see the Blackmagic Decklink card with Desktop Video 12.1 on M1 Macs for some strange reason, so we need to move forward to 12.2 or newer to get it working it seems.

We have tried all the tips and tricks out there, but nothing helps to get it working with Desktop Video 12.2.

We have also tested Desktop Video 12.2 on an Intel iMac 2020 model running macOS Big Sur 11.6, and that's not working either. Can't see any Blackmagic device connected.

@Dwaine Maggart: Can somebody please explain how the new DriverKit System Extension is supposed to work? How can we debug/verify whether the 12.2 DriverKit System Extension is installed properly?

Btw. kextutil is a deprecated command, replaced by kmutil since Big Sur was released.

kawowski

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 10:20 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Desktop Video 12.2 is absolutely not just for M1 machines. It addresses a Big Sur issue on any Mac.

If you go into Resolve Preferences - System - Video and Audio I/O, is the Mini Monitor selected there?

If it is, what happens if you launch Resolve and play a timeline? Does it play normally, and you just don't see it out of the Mini Monitor connected display? Or does it hang?

Hi Dwaine, I'll get back to you tomorrow, once I've installed 12.2 and checked all your queries. I did see the mini monitor in prefs yes. And timeline played OK in Resolve but not on display via mini-monitor.

CCCU Tech

Re: Big Sur and UltraStudio/DeckLink devices -

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 12:25 pm

We're running Big Sur 11.6.1 and installed 12.2 for the first time yesterday but cannot get our UltraStudio 4K Minis to work.

As others have posted, System Report is correctly detecting the devices as connected, but the app says no device is connected. We looked at the Security & Privacy pane but saw nothing there to permit, there was no pop-up.

This is a University so our computers are managed and students cannot do things like issue sudo commands as suugested. Users regularly log in, out, and the Macs are restarted frequently. But even with our admin privileges we get the 'No such file or directory' error when using the terminal command as suggested - this no longer seems to be a thing for 12.2.

Our Macs have recently been completely wiped so for all intents and purposes have never had the app installed before, they are clean.

kawowski

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 11:24 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Desktop Video 12.2 is absolutely not just for M1 machines. It addresses a Big Sur issue on any Mac.

Hi Dwaine, I have installed the Desktop Video 12.2 and I got everything working for a straight 1080HD 25P project, I'm getting full-screen playback via the mini-monitor so all good with that.

However, I'm currently working on a DPX sequence (scanned 16mm 4:3 ratio) which is 1920 x 1440 and I am trying to scale it to 1920 x 1080 for output to mini-monitor but it won't show on the mini-monitor powered display. Is there a problem with DPX image sequences and scaling to 1080P do you think?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 12.21.45 PM.png
These are my Project Settings for the DPX sequence
Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 12.21.45 PM.png (192.8 KiB) Viewed 23767 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 12:53 am

@Stu: I don't know. I don't have a similar test setup to say. Might be worth messing with the Project Settings - Image Scaling settings. I assume you have the Video Monitoring set to HD 1080p/25? If not, maybe the display does not like what's selected.

@Thomas: An explanation of how Driver Kit extensions actually work is beyond the scope of this forum. But the key is, when you install Desktop Video 12.2, you MUST still ALLOW the DEXT to run when installing. If this prompt is seen during installation, one must go to "System & Security" preferences and ALLOW our software to run on the Mac. This is the way it will be on Mac from now on and has been for some time. People must ALLOW it to run, same as any other manufacturer's software. If the prompt is not seen during installation, the user must still open "System & Security" preferences and ALLOW our software to run on the Mac. As shown in the image below:

desktop_video_12.2_mac_allow_screenshot.png
desktop_video_12.2_mac_allow_screenshot.png (155.75 KiB) Viewed 23739 times

If you don't see this prompt, then you must uninstall and reinstall Desktop Video 12.2, so this prompt is available.

Finally, the previous 12.1 guidance about running this command in Big Sur:

Is no longer valid with Desktop Video 12.2. There is NO KEXT with Desktop Video 12.2. It's been replaced with a Driver Kit driver. So don't run this if you've installed Desktop Video 12.2, but DO make sure you've allowed it to run in Security and Preferences, as detailed above.
Dwaine Maggart

Mark Foster

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 9:05 am

@Dwaine Maggart

an then you get this and it does NOT work:

Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 15.50.24.jpg
Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 15.50.24.jpg (43.61 KiB) Viewed 23686 times

Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 10.17.20.jpg
Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 10.17.20.jpg (47.75 KiB) Viewed 23680 times

2.1 works well

macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

thomasberglund

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 2:20 pm

@Mark Foster Same issue here. Can't get Desktop Video 12.2 working.

ElEmZed

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 7:00 pm

Can I ask if this issue has been resolved, or if anyone can help further. As I'm unable to get my Mac Pro running Big Sur 11.6 to recognise a Decklink 4K Extreme 12G.

I've tried with the latest version of Desktop Video 12.2.2, and with previous versions back to 12.1. I always get the same message No Desktop Video Device detected.

I've managed to successfully update the firmware on the device through its mini USB port. But when installed internally in a PCI slot the Mac refuses to recognise it. The slot consistently registers as unused on the About My Mac > PCI Cards display. I've also tried it in various different slots with the same result.

I've tried the terminal steps above, with no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated so that I can get this working properly on my system (assuming that I've not been unlucky enough to have a dud device).

Thank you
Resolve Studio 16.2.5
Mac OS 11.6
16-core Mac Pro, 192GB Ram, Radeon W6800X duo, 2TB SSD, 4TB Internal Samsung EVO SSD, 8TB Internal Samsung EVO SSD

larrysbk

Intensity Shuttle not Recognized Big Sur

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 1:08 pm

I have an Intensity Shuttle USB-C that I use with Media Express on a Mac mini. What is the latest guidance on having the the Intensity Shuttle be recognized by Media Express? The Shuttle is showing up in the USB-C device tree. I am running Media Express 3.7 and Big Sur 11.6.1.

Thomas Hanhart

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 4:42 pm

Dear Dwaine
May I draw your attention briefly to this thread? https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129564
There, some owners of the Intensity Shuttle TB have been desperately waiting for a competent answer for months. We all have business to do, depend on reliable tools and need to be able to make decisions to ensure that.
The question is quite simple and will not cost you a minute: Will the Intensity Shuttle be usable with M1 computers in the near future? Thank you very much in advance and happy Christmas!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 5:04 pm

The answer is in the thread. The Intel only supported items list is not going to change.

What's new in Desktop Video 12.0
For Mac OS
Add support for the following products on Mac OS Big Sur:
M1 and Intel Macs:
DeckLink Duo 2
DeckLink Quad 2
DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder
DeckLink 8K Pro
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
DeckLink Micro Recorder
DeckLink SDI Micro
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
DeckLink Mini Recorder
DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K
DeckLink SDI 4K
DeckLink Studio 4K
UltraStudio Recorder 3G
UltraStudio Monitor 3G
UltraStudio HD Mini
UltraStudio 4K Mini
UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3
Intensity Pro 4K
DeckLink 4K Pro
DeckLink 4K Extreme
UltraStudio 4K
UltraStudio 4K Extreme

Intel Macs only:
DeckLink Mini Monitor
DeckLink HD Extreme 3
DeckLink HD Extreme 3D
DeckLink SDI
DeckLink Duo
DeckLink Quad
DeckLink Studio
UltraStudio Express
UltraStudio Mini Monitor
UltraStudio Mini Recorder
Intensity Pro
Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt
Dwaine Maggart

Mark Foster

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 7:55 pm

desktop video 12.1 is the latest to work with my
intensity pro 4k on my cMP : -(
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

gabe67

PostThu Dec 30, 2021 4:43 pm

Same here, 12.1 ist the last version to work on my Intel Mac. Took me half a day to figure this out. What a mess, BM!
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5, MacOS Ventura, Macbook Pro M1 Max

thomasberglund

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 3:18 pm

We managed with some help to get it working in the end. It turns out that all Apple MDM managed devices need to have MDM profiles added to specifically allow the new System Driver Kit Extension from Blackmagic, if not the third-party System Extension approval process fails.

Here is an example of how to do it if you are using Jamf Pro:
https://developer.jamf.com/developer-gu ... extensions

David Woodhead

Big Sur compatibility with Desktop Video / Intensity Shuttle

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 8:38 pm

I have acquired an Intensity Shuttle and downloaded the Desktop Video software, but it is not seeing the device. I am running Big Sur on an iMac (not M1!) and also Big Sur on a MacBook Air (also not M1). I even tried it on an older Mac Pro tower running El Capitain, but no go, wouldn't mount the software. Any solutions? An older version of Desktop Video? Is my Intensity Shuttle a doorstop?
The Intensity Shuttle is showing up in the System Report, and it's getting warm. The computers see it, the software does not.
PreviousNext

Return to Getting Started