Capturing and playingback encoded audio

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jlthla

Capturing and playingback encoded audio

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 3:24 am

I'm considering buying an Intensity Pro 4K PCI card to capture audio and video from my over the air / antenna TV receiver. I'm assuming that the broadcasts will not be encrypted so don't expect that will be a problem. But, the big question is audio. Can you capture the original 5.1 encoded audio over HDMI with this card and the Blackmagic Video Express app? Can the Video Express app play back the encoded audio out via HDMI to a 5.1 receiver for decoding? Keep in mind I'm not expecting to do any editing, just capture and playback.

I could probably get an encoded SPDIF digital signal out of my receiver to the RCA input on the Intensity Pro, but the same question... can the Video Express software record the encoded signal, and then play it back either thru the HDMI connection or the SPDIF connection?

Lastly, is there ANY software that works with this card and can capture the encoded audio from HDMI, and then play it back thru HDMI?

Return to Getting Started