VHS Conversion Using H.264

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Nicolelivering

VHS Conversion Using H.264

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 2:58 am

Hello!
First of all I would like to preface by saying I am very new to all of this, apologies if this question is pretty basic.
I am trying to convert my families old VHS tapes. I purchased a H.264 Pro Recorder and was following the Youtube video titled "How to Convert VHS Tapes to Digital Video" by Better Editor to do it. This forum won't let me post a URL but if you copy and paste that title into Youtube you can see what video I am going off of.

Problem: Media Express does not show that I have anything plugged in, when it should. It's just a black screen. How can I fix this?
Also nothing shows up in the Desktop Video Set Up application, but as I read from other posts in this forum I believe that's normal for a H.264 Pro Recorder?

Here is how I curently have everything set up:
USB going from my Macbook to the Mini-USB slot on the H.264
H.264 is plugged into power and gives me the white power indicator light
HDMI cord going to HDMI2AV Mini
HDMI2AV Mini is plugged into power
RCA (the yellow, white, and red) plugged into the HDMI2AV Mini which is plugged into the VCR. The VCR is a Symphonic brand I purchased from Goodwill a few years ago and it works great.

Is using the HDMI2AV Mini throwing everything off? I am using it because the Youtube video listed above suggested it, but maybe that's only for using the Intensity Shuttle? Should I go from my computer to H.264 via USB, then use an HDMI cord with 3 RCA's on the other end to just go from the H.264 to the VHS? I would try that if I had the cable but I don't have one with that configuration haha, so I can just go buy one real quick if that'd fix it.

Any suggestions on how I should configure everything to enable me to have my VHS feed show up in Media Express so I can capture it and start doing the digital conversion?

Thank you so much in advance!

oniongarlic

Re: VHS Conversion Using H.264

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 8:55 am

Check that the AV2HDMI is working properly by plugging into a TV. I have one of those and it has serious sync issues with my vcr output.
Check out my free and open software:
CutePocketRemote - https://www.tal.org/projects/cutepocketremote
CuteAtum - https://www.tal.org/projects/cuteatum

Return to Getting Started