Issues with Multidock 10G on Windows 10

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

dbheaton

Issues with Multidock 10G on Windows 10

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 6:56 am

Hi,

New user here - I have recently purchased a Multidock 10G for use with a music studio based around Windows 10.

I have it set to divide the drives between two computers but currently only the A drive is connected, it contains two SSDs. The first is a Samsung EVO 860 4TB and the second a Samsung EVO 860 2TB. Both are formatted to NTFS as they came from other systems. I am aware that he manual says to use ExFAT so one of my questions below is based around that. The USB-C A drives are connected to a USB-A 3.1 port using a USB 3.1 cable.

When I shutdown the computer off the 2 drive bays start flashing as though being accessed , even though they weren't being accessed before the shutdown and the lights were off. This continues indefinitely (at least overnight) regardless of the computer being shutdown. When I boot the Windows 10 PC in the morning (with the drives still flashing on the Multidock) the drives do not remount. I have to either cut power or the USB connection to the Multidock. When I re-plug the Mutldock behaves as expected with the drives remounting and the lights flashing only when the SSDs are accessed.

The only thing that I can think of out of the ordinary that the drives are formatted as NTFS which is not in the manual) but I cannot think of why this would be a problem. Is NTFS a problem or just not recommended for video production?

Any thoughts on what's happening here or other things to try?

dbh

dbheaton

Re: Issues with Multidock 10G on Windows 10

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 8:34 am

I've returned to try and solve the problem after 6 months - so I'd like to nudge this..

Does anybody have any ideas why my drives won't remount after rebooting Windows 10?

dbh

Stevie

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 8:51 am

I'm having exactly the same issue and it really strikes me that no one else has come across this, besides us two.

Trying to find the culprit here. What mainboard / USB-C chipset are you using?

Stevie

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 9:24 am

Okay, I found the issue!

It all has to do with the Fast Boot mode set in the UEFI/BIOS.
You have to DISABLE it, otherwise the following symptoms will occur:

- Multidock does not shutdown, instead the SSD LEDs are blinking permanently
- on boot, the SSDs are not recognized anymore, you need to unplug und replug the USB cable

by turning off Fast Boot, everything works as expected!
I hope this helps anyone who stumbles across this issue.

Return to Getting Started