UltraStudio Recorder 3G - no picture

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

pdelges

UltraStudio Recorder 3G - no picture

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 1:04 pm

Hi,

First post here, please be patient!
I just received an UltraStudio Recorder 3G and try to use it on a Mac. Unfortunately it doesn't work yet.

The HDMI video sources I tried are a Sony PS4 and a consumer video decoder (that's all what I have at hand).

In Desktop Video Setup, once HDMI is selected I do see the resolution of my source (1080@59.94) but only intermittently (every second or so).
In Blackmagic Media Express, with a project set to the right resolution, I do see sound signal coming in (5 audio channels with the ps4), but also intermittently and no picture.

The USB-C/TB3 cable is an Apple cable.
I tried with 2 different HDMI cables. I tried different resolutions.

I tried with an iMac Pro under X.14.6, with Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_11.6 and even with Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_11.7.
Then I tried with an iMac under X.15, with Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_11.7.

I always get the same results : intermittent sound, no picture.

I even tried to plug my HDMI source to a Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G and connect it to the Recorder, but didn't get better results.

Should I considere that the UltraStudio Recorder 3G is faulty, or is there something else I could check?

Eric-Jan

Re: UltraStudio Recorder 3G - no picture

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 12:51 pm

Your sources could be "conteminated" with HDCP, (copyright protection) if not by that, the HDMI handshake could be making some "misunderstandings" check if your sources have any settings for that, to overcome that,
also use not too long HDMI cables, or check their version 1.x ?
Anything else you might want to try, will fall in the "hacking" (not legal) department, and can't be discussed on any BMD forum group.
Equipment for making your own content should be no problem to use.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

pdelges

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 5:04 pm

Thank you Eric-Jan, you saved my week-end.

There is indeed HDCP activated by default on a PS4. Once desactivated I could test the UltraStudio Recorder 3G, and the Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G ; everything does work as expected.

p

pdelges

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 2:34 pm

I could finally test with a camera. Everything works perfectly.
Many thanks!

p

senseimultimedia

Re: UltraStudio Recorder 3G - sin imagen

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 10:10 pm

Good companions. I have the same problem with the UltraStrudio Recorder 3G when I connect a Sony SRG-X400 camera via HDMI (1980 50p). At first I thought it could be the capturer, but if I connect other types of Sony cameras (FS5, 700 ...) the Ultrastudio Recorder3G works correctly. I tried bringing the hdmi output from the Sony SRG-X400 to a monitor and it worked too. Therefore, I conclude that the ultraStudio does not work for certain cameras.

Return to Getting Started