Video Assist record audio only?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

brianmadden

Video Assist record audio only?

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 7:21 pm

Hi Everyone!

I just bought a Video Assist 3G 7". Works great for video, but I also need to record some audio only and I was assuming I could use the Video Assist for this too (via the XLR inputs). But unfortunately, it looks like if there's no video signal present, then the video assist won't start recording. Anyone know if there's a way to use this for audio only? I'm trying to minimize my travel kit.

Thanks!
Brian

Eric-Jan

Re: Video Assist record audio only?

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 9:53 pm

put a "dummy" video signal on the video input ? like a live video source ? video camera ? or use one as passthrough ? a (video) ZOOM recorder ? maybe you already have a source in your kit which you can use, or one at the location you're at for that moment.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Denny Smith

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 6:24 am

Get a Black Burst generator to feed a video signal, then you can record audio. I used to do this with video tape decks for frame by frame editing, I used a black burst signal with a time code imbedded in it.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

K1ttyKat

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 6:44 pm

Couldn't you simply plug the video out to the video input and get a video signal like that? I'm sure you could route the audio so that you didn't get feedback.

brianmadden

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 7:55 pm

I can confirm that looping the video out to video in does not work. When attempted via SDI, it alternates every second between signal and none. And HDMI loop just shows no signal.

I know I can use an external box (or even an up/down/cross from the bag), but then I have to carry and power that too and it just adds to the complexity. I was hoping I could just get this thing to record audio without a video signal. Oh well, I understand that is not what this was designed to do.

Eric-Jan

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 11:52 pm

maybe you have a compact camera that has HDMI out, you can use ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

pimentas

PostThu Jun 23, 2022 9:05 am

I have the same wish!

It would be great if BMD would release a firmware update that included an audio-only recording option in the near future :)

Eric-Jan

PostFri Jun 24, 2022 9:50 pm

There are exixting recorders for that purpouse, which special audio functions that the Video Assist will not have, like Zoom etc.. i don't see any problem in this, and will have also sync options.

904_Cubby$$$

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 12:59 am

Greetings, Eric. I'm attempting to record audio from my laptop into my Video Assist 7" 3G. Could you tell me how to discover audio on the backup monitor? I'm attempting to record Zoom meetings with professors. Video come through just fine, but audio has me stumped. Thanks and CHEERS...

Eric-Jan

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 12:00 am

904_Cubby$$$ wrote:Greetings, Eric. I'm attempting to record audio from my laptop into my Video Assist 7" 3G. Could you tell me how to discover audio on the backup monitor? I'm attempting to record Zoom meetings with professors. Video come through just fine, but audio has me stumped. Thanks and CHEERS...

There's also a video signal present ? HDMI has different audio channels, most of the time HDMI is used, so do some research, check if audio settings on laptop are correct, also for the software you're using, hardware wise there are also audio "injectors" i beleive, which is a HDMI passthrough device, which has also analog audio inputs, maybe explain exactly your setup, and the software you are using, because this is all i can think of right now.

Return to Getting Started