Decklink 4K SDI capture devices and Sony FS700 camera

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jimbase

Decklink 4K SDI capture devices and Sony FS700 camera

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 12:03 pm

Hello.

I have recently gotten a used "4K ready" Sony NEX-FS700R that outputs 4K RAW via SDI output. The FS700R version already has the 4K modification and I have the 4096x2160P output option on the menu. My plan was to purchase a PCI-E card from Blackmagic to capture the 4K stream, so I was looking at the Decklink SDI 4K card.

However, FS700's SDI stream is apparently not a standard one, and capture device must support it to decode it. People around the net use hardware recorders, namely Atomos Showgun Flame and Odyssey 7Q that do support it, and I found no mention of someone actually using a PCI-E card with the FS700R.

Can anyone please confirm whether Decklink line of products can actually record Sony FS700 4K SDI output?

Thank you!

Romaguera

Re: Decklink 4K SDI capture devices and Sony FS700 camera

PostFri Jun 03, 2022 11:58 am

Hello, I just installed the Decklink mini recorder 4k to a Sony FS700R camera.
It only works for 1080p @60. For higher resolutions it does not work. Unfortunately.

Mike Ambrose

PostMon Jun 06, 2022 9:23 pm

That Sony model supports SDI raw 2K DCI and SDI raw 4K DCI (which is what the Atomos models you named also supports).

Decklink cards do not support RAW DCI which means you'll be limited to 3G broadcast standards (in this case 1080p60). If that camera supported 6G or 12G then you'd be able to get broadcast 4k (non-DCI).

jbeech

PostSat Jul 23, 2022 4:09 pm

Since the FS700 records to physical media, instead of going out via SDI, which is limited to HD, can you simply remove the media, e.g. a 128GB or 256GB SDXC memory card, and insert it into the computer for editing your 4K footage directly? Or am I missing something?
--
John Beech

Ellory Yu

PostSun Jul 24, 2022 3:26 am

jbeech wrote:Since the FS700 records to physical media, instead of going out via SDI, which is limited to HD, can you simply remove the media, e.g. a 128GB or 256GB SDXC memory card, and insert it into the computer for editing your 4K footage directly? Or am I missing something?

I don’t think it can write 2K and 4K DCI RAW to the camera media.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

jbeech

PostSun Jul 24, 2022 4:49 am

Agreed, either 4K or HD, pick 'em with regard to what is written to media - but - if he didn't want 4K, he'd be satisfied with the HDMI-out, which is HD-only - so - I'm still wondering; why doesn't he use the media? Maybe he'll respond. Of course, if he wants to record via 4K switcher then he's going to route through an Odyssey, first. Dunno why but I imagine this is partly how Sony gets you to upgrade cameras, eh? Me? I'm glad I am easily satisfied and my FS700 and FS5 are all I need for my purposes. Be nice, of course, if BMD made it easy to record the 4K to the capture card as the OP asked exactly like the external recorder does. Me? I'm not smart enough about this to even pretend to know why they don't but it strikes me it would open another market. After all, it's not like anybody is going to throw away such fine camera units any time soon.
--
John Beech

Return to Getting Started