BlackMagic Video Assist White Balance

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

YearZero

BlackMagic Video Assist White Balance

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 5:58 pm

I just got the 5 inch BMVA and have noticed a weird issue. It doesn't matter what white balance my camera is set to the picture on the monitor looks really cool and blue. I'm shooting with the BMPCC6k, firmware is up to date on the camera and the monitor...It's really weird to me that you have no option to adjust the white balance on the monitor and yesterday I had a client who was bugging out because the image on the monitor looked so different than what we were seeing in camera. Help!

Denny Smith

Re: BlackMagic Video Assist White Balance

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 1:34 am

You can control the brightness, color intensity and contrast, but not tint. I just set mine to B&W by turning the color setting all the way down, this gives a nice B&W image that is easy to use to judge exposure and focus more quickly than the color image.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

YearZero

Re: BlackMagic Video Assist White Balance

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 5:46 pm

Exposure/contrast isn't the issue whatsoever. The issue is the weird blue/green tint that is on the image in the monitor. I have attached a photo where I put the Kelvin to 10,000 to really show how off the color is on this monitor. I just don't understand how they've had this issue with green/blue tint for so long and no fix. Meanwhile my older model 7" BMVA has no issues with color at all...

bmva.jpg
bmva.jpg (119.3 KiB) Viewed 835 times

Return to Getting Started