BMPCC 6K Pro - Win10 Driver missing?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

VAsHachiRoku

BMPCC 6K Pro - Win10 Driver missing?

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 11:30 am

Hello,

I just installed Blackmagic Camera Setup 7.2.1 (Latest available). Windows see the camera in device manager as, but driver is unknown. I tried to let it search my entire system to see if it could find the driver, plus the Program Files/Program files (x86)\Blackmagic directories, did not find a driver, also checked Windows Update option.

I tried to do a manual "Update Drive" using the following INF file

C:\Program Files (x86)\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Camera Setup\DriverUSB\Cameras\CinemaCamera.inf, however in the list the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera6K Pro is not listed.

Has the driver not been released?

Here is the list of camera drivers within the INF file. I was going to try the 6K, but Windows warned this driver is not right, so I hit cancel.

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
Blackmagic Studio Camera
Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K
Blackmagic URSA
Blackmagic URSA Broadcast
Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K
Blackmagic URSA Mini 4K
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2
Blackmagic URSA SSD recorder
Blackmagic URSA Studio Viewfinder
Blackmagic URSA Viewfinder

FYI: No medic card is insert and no lens is connected. Only using DC Power and USB-C cable.

HansSpoor

Re: BMPCC 6K Pro - Win10 Driver missing?

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 10:07 pm

7.2.1 setup is from 19th January, why do you expect the 6K Pro would be supported, as the camera is just announced? At the end of the presentation it was said that the software update for the 3 cameras was not ready yet, but will be available soon.

VAsHachiRoku

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 12:39 am

Wow super bad of me didn't even look at the driver release date, just verified it was the latest version and figured if a product is able to be purchased by a consumer and plugged into their computer the driver would be publicly available already.

Didn't watch the full presentation about the software coming later.

I can see why they wouldn't put the driver in early because a lot of people go through code now trying to find details about upcoming products and features.

Thanks for your reply the only thing I would change is "announced" to "released" which does set higher expectations by the consumer.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 1:05 pm

A driver is only necessary for recognizing the camera for firmware updates. There is nothing else you could do with the camera driver anyway. So it doesn't matter if its available now or not because you already got the initial firmware on the camera.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

VAsHachiRoku

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 1:09 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:A driver is only necessary for recognizing the camera for firmware updates. There is nothing else you could do with the camera driver anyway. So it doesn't matter if its available now or not because you already got the initial firmware on the camera.

Thanks, first time owning a Blackmagic camera, so I haven't used the software and played around with it! Glad to know its only for firmware updates, but I'm use to a day one patch/update on release day, mostly due to videogames!

Robert Niessner

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 4:16 pm

VAsHachiRoku wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:A driver is only necessary for recognizing the camera for firmware updates. There is nothing else you could do with the camera driver anyway. So it doesn't matter if its available now or not because you already got the initial firmware on the camera.

Thanks, first time owning a Blackmagic camera, so I haven't used the software and played around with it! Glad to know its only for firmware updates, but I'm use to a day one patch/update on release day, mostly due to videogames!

Don't worry. The firmware should be pretty stable as the PCC6k Pro is just an iteration of the PCC6k and that firmware had already 2 years to mature.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Return to Getting Started