cintel scanner 2 setup help needed

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

robadub

cintel scanner 2 setup help needed

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 3:41 am

Hello -

I have recently purchased a used BM cintel scanner (w/thunderbolt 2) from a BM approved reseller.
I need to get it up and running or decide to return for a refund.

It does power up, but here are some problems and questions I have:

The HDMI out works, I can see an image from my loaded 35mm negative.
However, the physical control buttons are not functioning except the LOAD button adjusts the rollers.
Shouldn't play, ff rw buttons work without the thunderbolt cable plugged in?

The thunderbolt 2 is going through an adapter to my macbook pro's thunderbolt 3.
Software included Davinci Resolve Studio 12 and a usb dongle . . .
My mac installed but could not open Resolve, and does not see the dongle.

Freeware Resolve 16 installed fine from their website, but it does not see the scanner.

Could the dongle be windows based?
Is my TB2 to TB3 adapter a problem?
Am I wrong thinking physical buttons should work without any computer hookup?

Repair/fix is preferable to returning as it weighs over 120 lbs.
Any advice or suggestions from experienced cintel scanner users would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: cintel scanner 2 setup help needed

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 7:36 am

I would start Rob by installing the DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 that is on the support web site and make sure the app is running and connect to the scanner.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

robadub

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 5:34 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Resolve 17 wont work with my OS Mojave 10.14.6
I have installed Resolve 16.2.8 which works fine, but it does not see the scanner.
As mentioned scanner is Thunderbolt 2 out to my macbook pro's Thunderbolt 3 with an adapter.

James Little

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 5:09 am

Yes the buttons should work without any connection. I believe there is a support request open for this as we've been discussing internally? Am I correct? If not, for this issue as it might be hardware related, ensure you contact support.

Thanks

Ellory Yu

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 2:52 pm

robadub wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Resolve 17 wont work with my OS Mojave 10.14.6
I have installed Resolve 16.2.8 which works fine, but it does not see the scanner.
As mentioned scanner is Thunderbolt 2 out to my macbook pro's Thunderbolt 3 with an adapter.

Rob, I believe it requires the Studio version. You said you were installing the free version. So do this. Plug-in the dongle to your USB and leave it there. Download 16.2.8 Studio and install it. Since you have the dongle, the license should work. Then try if it now see the scanner. Good luck!
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

robadub

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 10:07 pm

Thanks for the reply - I installed Resolve Studio 16.2.8 but scanner is still not seen.

I then took an older Mac Pro with thunderbolt 2 and OSX Yosemite 10.10.4 and installed Resolve Studio 12.5.4.019 - dongle is verified working but No Scanner Detected and Install Film Scanner Software is all it says in capture mode. Isn't this the software???

Any other suggestions or advice is much appreciated.
I also saw that I should contact support -- can you lead me to someone?

Thanks!

James Little

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 2:03 am

Support you can find on the website.

It sounds like maybe you were performing a firmware update and then the power went out. See the USB Recovery in the manual.

James Little

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 2:04 am

Actually, just re-read your original issue and I think this is definitely one for support. Touch base with them.

They will gather the Cintel logs for us to look at so we can try and help identify any problems.

Does it show up in the 'Cintel Setup' utility?

robadub

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 5:59 pm

Thank you James -

The Good:
I opened up the back and updated the firmware via USB Recovery. Thanks for the manual, I was only provided the short 16page version.
Now the physical buttons work, and I can see an image from the HDMI out.

Still need help:
I've tried using two different Macs and tried multiple installs but scanner is still not being recognized.
Also tried changing out thunderbolt 2 cables but no go.

Newer setup:
MacBook Pro running OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Resolve Studio 16.8.2 opens but does not see the scanner.
Resolve Studio 12.5.4 does not see the USB dongle and won't open.

Older setup:
Mac Pro trashcan running OS X Yosemite 10.10.4
Resolve Studio 12.5.4 sees the dongle, but does not see the scanner.

Could it be a bad Thunderbolt port?
I have about 10 days to return to Adorama and have to use heavy freight.
Would love to get it working asap.
I don't know what the Cintel logs or Cintel setup utility are.

Thanks,
Rob

robadub

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 11:51 pm

UPDATE -
Scanner is up and running!
Thanks for the help James and others ---

Uninstalled everything and reinstalled Cintel 3 which came with Resolve Studio 15. Prompted me for another firmware update. Had to delete the database left over from version 16, but after that it woke up and sees the scanner. Thank you Blackmagic forum, I'm sure I'll be back!

The one remaining issue is poor focus. The focus wheel came unattached. I don't see any threads or retaining clip or screw. Was it originally just glued onto the little post? Can I safely glue it back?

Lots to learn on the software end for me, but you saved me a huge hassle with the potential return via freight.

Thanks again!
Rob

Gavin Lucas

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 12:44 pm

Hi,

Yes focus knob can be re-glued to its shaft using Loctite 272 (Red Thread Locker), allow 24 Hrs to cure.
Regards, Gavin

robadub

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 1:01 pm

OK thanks Gavin.

New issue:
I just bought a new Mac mini M1 to dedicate to the scanner.
It is running OS BigSur 11.1
Cintel 4.1 and Resolve Studio 17.1 installed but neither sees the scanner.
Took off the back for another usb restore firmware update but it does nothing.
Any more help or advice please?

Thank you

robadub

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 8:18 pm

Support is advising me on software firmware driver fixes and my new apple M1's security settings.
Scanner should be up and running soon --- will report back after this and focus knob fix.
Thanks all!!!

James Little

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 2:32 am

keep us posted, always check the 'Cintel Setup' utility first to verify connection.

justincary

PostFri Aug 13, 2021 1:45 am

Sorry to blast this here as I just read through this entire thread... why does Cintel 4.1 exist? Is anyone running it with any luck? I've owned the Cintel for 2.5 years and I'm still running a 2018 firmware update. I tried to update, then, had to take the back of the machine apart to plug into the USB to restore. That was with Cintel 4.0. I'm working on a project now that is approximately 200,000 feet of 16mm and the scanner continues to "unload" in the middle of the reel - I unplug, reboot, start again and maybe - just maybe I'll get through the roll!

I saw that 4.1 was available... I download... install... everything is once again broken and here I sit, getting ready to take the back off of the scanner again. Maybe my issue is hardware related, if so I'll need to spend the $500 to ship it somewhere for service. This is my business and it's becoming increasingly more difficult to do my job and actually turn a profit.

So. Is there going to be an update to Cintel 4.x that actually improves the overall experience of the scanner?

Thanks!

Justin
Justin Cary
MidwestFilmCo.com

James Little

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 2:04 am

Hi Justin,

your issues sound unrelated to the version and rather something deeper. I recommend touching base with Support, it sounds to me more like BigSur and Kernel Extension issues with Desktop Video driver, something like a KEXT caching issue so the versions you 'think' are installed actually aren't and it causes all manner of bad behaviour.

Maybe spawn up a new thread if you have an individual issue, we monitor this forum closely.

Thanks

James Little

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 2:05 am

and reading a bit further, any unloading issues are best taken up with support so we can work through it with you individually and you can provide us with logs etc.. etc..

Basically nothing has changed with regards to sprocket transport, as sounds like you're on a sprocketed machine from 2018. As such, sounds more like a hardware issue and best broached with support.

justincary

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 11:13 pm

Hey. The slipping issue was one of worn out hardware. I ordered a new 16mm kit with all new rubber components and it's been working great.

New issue - My Mac Pro upgraded to Big Sur 11.6 and broke everything. I went to Best Buy and picked up a Mac Mini M1 (looking to make it a dedicated machine - THAT NEVER UPDATES - like our friend up above) and it also does not see the Cintel in Resolve. I'm using the Apple TB2 to TB3 adapter. The back lives off the scanner so I can access the USB port for firmware updates or downgrades or whatever is currently working to get me moving. The USB2.0 sees the scanner and allows me to talk to it and update firmware. It appears when I unplug the USB2.0 the computer no longer sees the scanner, period. Neither Resolve 15 Studio nor Desktop Video will see the scanner.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Justin
Justin Cary
MidwestFilmCo.com

justincary

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 12:14 pm

OK. I got the Cintel up and running after my last post.

I had installed Resolve 15 Studio (the only Studio version I have a license for) and was running Cintel 3.0 firmware on the scanner. I then tried Cintel 4 & 4.1 - no luck.

I then nuked all of the BMD software I'd installed and installed Resolve 17 (the latest update), installed Cintel Setup, Resolve 17 said the Cintel needed an update, did the update, restart... up and running!

Recap:
Mac Mini (M1, 2020)
Big Sur 11.4 (not moving from this for quite some time)
8GB RAM
Cintel 4.1 Firmware
Davinci Resolve 17 (buying the Studio license to unlock full res exports)

Justin
Justin Cary
MidwestFilmCo.com

roger.magnusson

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 12:39 am

justincary wrote:I had installed Resolve 15 Studio (the only Studio version I have a license for) and was running Cintel 3.0 firmware on the scanner. I then tried Cintel 4 & 4.1 - no luck.

Your Resolve Studio license isn't for a specific version. You can use any later Studio version.

Return to Getting Started