Ultrastudio Mini Monitor - drivers for Windows 7

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Makak007

Ultrastudio Mini Monitor - drivers for Windows 7

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Hello,
I am trying to hook up Ultrastudio Mini Monitor / Thunderbolt2 version to a laptop running Windows 7. I am experiencing a problem with driver installation, after I connected the device, automatic driver installation procedure went on and now I am stuck with something called "Base System Device" for which Windows can not find any driver. I was trying to locate the driver and install manually but no luck.
Also, before I connected it, I installed Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Windows_11.5.0 (last version supporting Win7), which, I assume brings the drivers into Windows system??? Or not???
My question is, how to fix it or where I can find standalone drivers I can force upon my Win7 to properly recognize the Mini Monitor?

I tried to connect the Mini Monitor to another Win7 notebook, automatic driver install went through the whole process successfuly and I ended up with Blackmagic Mini Studio properly recognized and visible in my Device Manager... So what should I do to break this stalemate situation on the other computer????

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Makak007

Re: Ultrastudio Mini Monitor - drivers for Windows 7

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 11:21 pm

A little progress here:
I uninstalled Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Windows_11.5.0 and replaced it with several older ones and as last Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Windows_10.4.2 which, after some struggle, managed to get Ultrastudio Mini Monitor recognized in Device Manager. It even works with DaVinci Resolve and I can see and play through it.
There is only one missing problem(?). In device manager, I have:
Sound, video and game controllers: Blackmagic Audio, Blackmagic DeckLink WDM Streaming and Blackmagic Definition Audio Device (all of them are good thing I assume).

But there is also one entry.
Other Devices: Base System Device which pops up only whem Blackmagic Mini Monitor is attached. It has an exclamation mark and in Device status is this:
++++++
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.
++++++

I think there is still some part of the process left to be successfully finished?
Any ideas please? Would like to be sure this is installed 100% correctly to avoid any issues.

Return to Getting Started