Recorder 3G and Nikon - Liveview keeps going off

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

raghunath

Recorder 3G and Nikon - Liveview keeps going off

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 1:43 pm

Hi, I just got the UltraStudio Recorder 3G and while I'm able to capture video fine using media express, if I click away from the app for even a second it turns live view on my Nikon D750 off. This is very annoying and I have to keep walking back to my camera to turn it back on. Is there a way to disable this from happening so I can keep live view on indefinitely. The same thing happen if I go from 'Log & Capture' to 'Playback'. I use Logic X to record audio so I need to go between the 2 apps without live view being shut off each time. Please help, this is really urgent.

As for specs:
MacBook Pro 16"
OSX 11.2.3
Desktop Video 12.0
Nikon D750 on the latest firmware

Denny Smith

Re: Recorder 3G and Nikon - Liveview keeps going off

PostSat May 01, 2021 6:19 am

Not really, this is a limitation of the camera, as the Nikon D750 live view times out after 29 min. I believe it will also drop if the device it is connected to via HDMI is disconnected (switched to a different input). For what you want to do, you need a camera that will remain in live view HDMI output, like the new Nikon Z6, or a BMD Micro Studio camera or Pocket 4K/6K Camera. DSLRs video capability was added as a second function, and partly disabled to avoid the camera from being considered pro video equipment and taxed as such by many countries p, including the EU. By limiting the camera video function to less than 30 min, it gets around the additional tax issue. Also many DSLRs can not continuously record video for longer than 20 odd minutes, due to sensor overheating issues.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started