Video Assist 7" 12G downscale output

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

nbayless

Video Assist 7" 12G downscale output

PostThu May 06, 2021 4:04 pm

We're thinking about getting one of these at work but I couldn't find any info on if it can take a UHD input and downscale it to FHD for the output. I know the VA 4k can't, but does anyone know if it's possible with the 7" 12G? Thanks! I've tried emailing Blackmagic Support a few times but usually don't get a reply...

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist 7" 12G downscale output

PostFri May 07, 2021 2:07 am

Only the original VA could downscale a UHD signal to HD, as it was an HD monitor
/recorder. The new VA’s, including the 12G I do not believe can down or upscale, what comes in, goes out.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

nbayless

PostFri May 07, 2021 6:53 pm

Thanks Denny! Blackmagic support got back to me a couple hours after posting this and confirmed what you said, that the 12G doesn't downscale unfortunately. Hopefully they add that as well as allowing you to apply luts to scopes, change the waveform scale so that Voltage isn't prioritized, and calibrate the screen. For now we'll most likely pass on a Video Assist until those are added.

timtyler

PostThu Oct 13, 2022 2:30 am

I'd love the downscaled output too.

It would allow the URSA 12K to record UHD non-BRAW codecs on the VA and then output an HD signal to a wireless transmitter or HD monitor. I know I could output HD with the viewfinder's SDI, but then I can't use the viewfinder.
Tim Tyler
Cinematographer @ https://timtyler.com
Founder-Admin @ Cinematography.com / SteadicamForum.com

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Oct 16, 2022 10:39 am

Is the output of the VA, clean and does it carry any 3D lut in place? I presume it is and does but I ask because I am about to buy this very monitor for a twofold purpose: A) As a waveform/vectorscope monitor in post; and B) As an on set monitor. It occurred to me that I can feed my client monitor in the edit suite, with a pass-through 4K signal, from the VA via the US, whilst the HD reference down converts the same signal to HD, directly from the Ultrastudio Mini 4K. I could then load a 3D calibration Lut to the VA. At the moment I have to use a splitter to get 4K on the client monitor and only when I switch it to EDID, which loses the HD signal on the reference monitor.

Return to Getting Started