Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI converter problem

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

TonyF12

Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI converter problem

PostSun May 16, 2021 5:43 am

We love Blackmagic and have Resolve Studio, many interfaces, ATEM mixing and Videoassist products.

We currently have a "funnie" which I would like to understand. We recently bought a current model Sony 49" consumer 4k tv (KD-49XH9505) for client viewing during recordings and it does not like the HDMI output of our Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI converter at all.

It produces a picture but the picture is hardly viewable because it looks so bad! Distorted colours and very dark.

The tv works fine with other HDMI sources, just misbehaves with Blackmagic. For example I substituted an Atomos SUMO19 in the chain to convert from SDI to HDMI instead and the pictures are perfect. Can anyone explain what might be going on? It fails whether we input 4k/50, HD 50p or HD 50i.

Andy Coulthurst

Re: Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI converter problem

PostSun May 16, 2021 8:49 am

TonyF12 wrote:We love Blackmagic and have Resolve Studio, many interfaces, ATEM mixing and Videoassist products.

We currently have a "funnie" which I would like to understand. We recently bought a current model Sony 49" consumer 4k tv (KD-49XH9505) for client viewing during recordings and it does not like the HDMI output of our Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI converter at all.

It produces a picture but the picture is hardly viewable because it looks so bad! Distorted colours and very dark.

The tv works fine with other HDMI sources, just misbehaves with Blackmagic. For example I substituted an Atomos SUMO19 in the chain to convert from SDI to HDMI instead and the pictures are perfect. Can anyone explain what might be going on? It fails whether we input 4k/50, HD 50p or HD 50i.

Do you perhaps have a LUT loaded and enabled on the teranex?

TonyF12

PostSun May 16, 2021 10:15 am

Thanks, Andy.

No LUT. Nothing unusual.

The video feed is from a Sony FS7 in 3840x2160x50p. The FS7's output (regular BT709) via HDMI going into a Shogun 7 mounted on the camera. Then the SDI 4k output of the Shogun 7 goes via a 10m bnc cable into the Teranex in our control-room.

The Teranex has the front-panel accessory and the picture looks fine on the Teranex display. It only looks bad on the Sony tv. Maybe the Teranex has developed a fault. I can do some more tests tomorrow when I am back in the studio. I would blame the tv, except it looks fine fed from other HDMI sources.

Xtreemtec

PostMon May 17, 2021 8:03 am

Are you sure there is no LUT enabled.. Really I had this issue once.. When somebody by accident hit the 1 / 2 buttons on the front panel.. You barly notice it.. But the LUT was enabled and almost screwed up the whole job..

After a while we found that the button was pressed but the indication light on the button is hard to see in a well lit room. And the display will give you the image without LUT.. ;) :roll:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

TonyF12

PostWed May 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Thanks for the tip.
I'll check it out when I get back to the studio.

TonyF12

PostThu May 20, 2021 8:34 am

Thanks, Daniel.
It was an unwanted LUT selected by one of the front buttons I must have pushed by mistake.
Good news.

Xtreemtec

PostSun May 23, 2021 6:41 am

Haha happy I’m not the only one that was caught with that issue.

I would have liked that they put an overlay text in the corner of the frontpanel display saying LUT 1 or LUT 2. As the buttons are really hard to see with the faint green color.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

TonyF12

PostSun May 23, 2021 7:44 am

How much I enjoy a simple solution. No problem feeling a bit of a twit. We all need to be reminded once in a while.

It was fortunate we had an immediate alternative on the day - we were recording a major ballet project with a big orchestra and in the audio control-room we needed to see what was going on live.

The add-on front-panels for the Teranex converters are great. Nonetheless I think the in-line LUT switch function in the SDI-to-HDMI converter is for us hardly a daily front-panel need unless we are using a log setting on the camera which is rare. An overlay text on the front-panel display would be a good reminder as you suggest.

Return to Getting Started