Raspberry Pi settings.

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

fabien

Raspberry Pi settings.

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Hello,

I am attempting to capture Raspberry Pi video output connected via HDMI to an Intensity Shuffle Thunderbolt but none of the Video Format I tried to select worked (Composite does work when using 'NTSC' video format).

Reading the Raspberry PI documentation, I found out that the device attempt to use CEC in order to select the best HDMI resolution...but I guess the Intensity Shuffle doesn't respond to that.

There is a way to force the Raspberry Pi to use an HDMI format via /boot/config.txt

Code: Select all
hdmi_force_hotplug=1 #Force HDMI even if no CEC detected.
hdmi_pixel_encoding=0 default
hdmi_group=1   CEA

I attempted various Video formats:

hdmi_mode=4    720p  60Hz #Doesn't work
hdmi_mode=32   1080p 24Hz #Doesn't work
hdmi_mode=33   1080p 25Hz #Doesn't work
hdmi_mode=34   1080p 30Hz #Doesn't work

(see elinux.org/RPiconfig for a list of all the configuration).

Has anybody figured out what the correct settings are ?

Chad

Re: Raspberry Pi settings.

PostTue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 am

After reading the RPI config page you linked to, I can tell you the Intensity Shuttle will only support hdmi_mode 4,5, or 6 (and maybe 2). When you try to verify using Media Express, don't forget to configure the Blackmagic Control Panel in your system settings first, and then select the correct mode in Media Express preferences. Also, in case you haven't tried it already, use hdmi_pixel_encoding=3 since Blackmagic only supports YPbPr color space and not RGB.

fabien

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 9:35 pm

I have tried modes:

hdmi_mode=4    720p  60Hz
hdmi_mode=5    1080i 60Hz
hdmi_mode=6    480i  60Hz

None worked. I also attempted to change the pixel encoding:

hdmi_pixel_encoding=0 default       (limited for CEA, full for DMT)
 hdmi_pixel_encoding=1 RGB limited   (16-235)
 hdmi_pixel_encoding=2 RGB full      ( 0-255)
 hdmi_pixel_encoding=3 YCbCr limited (16-235)
 hdmi_pixel_encoding=4 YCbCr limited ( 0-255)

Again, I can only see black. I am starting to think it may be HDCP...but the Raspberry Pi documentation doesn't mention it anywhere...

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 9:51 pm

As Chad suggested.. have you configured the Shuttle correctly? Please confirm that you are correctly configuring the appropriate video format in BOTH Media Express AND the Blackmagic Design Control Panel (default video standard).
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 4:45 pm

I have connected my raspberry pi to the ATEM switcher input running in 1080i/59.94 on the switcher. The pi config.txt settings used were:

hdmi_mode=5 for 1080i60 which is close to what the ATEM wants. Assumes hdmi_group=1
hdmi_pixel_encoding=3 YCbCr which is the color space the ATEM wants.
disable_overscan=1 which will use the full 1920x1080 image size instead of the reduced one by default.
Reboot.

I don't have a shuttle, so I would start at this and make sure the shuttle and Media Express matches the broadcast rate. It's a good starting point.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 4:58 pm

And by the way there are at least a few folks using Raspberry PI for playout over on the ATEMUSER.com forum.

You might want to ask for support over there too.

v8media

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 1:16 am

I know the last post in this thread was a while ago, but I found this thread searching for answers and wanted to confirm that the 1080i60 settings worked for me.

I wish the Intensity had some way of automatically detecting what kind of video streams were coming in, and just gave you the options it saw, or possibly the option of holding down the option key and being able to select some other specific settings. As it is, instead of being like a HDMI tv that figures out what kind of stream is coming in, we, the users are effectively the auto detection algorithm.

Anyway, thanks for the 1080i60 pointer.

Ian

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 4:20 pm

I think it's less about "us" being the auto detection and more about how we are responsible for ensuring the sources we connect are configured to the formst we are expecting.

Now of course when things don't work and when things are not configured correctly (most of these issues are caused by users forgetting to configure the black magic control panel and / or media express) it would indeed be convenient if something somewhere would flash up on the screen saying "do you realize your configured for 1080i 5994 but your input source is 720p 60").

Return to Getting Started