UltraStudio Montor 3G on Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Semir_DE

UltraStudio Montor 3G on Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 11:00 am

Hello everyone,

I hope somebody can point me in the right direction here to get my UltraStudio Monitor 3G up and running on my Linux Mint system (Windows 10 on the same PC is OK). I have the following system:

Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP EliteBook 850 G6 v: N/A serial: Chassis: type: 10
Mobo: HP model: 8549 v: KBC Version 52.67.00 UEFI: HP
v: R70 Ver. 01.08.01 date: 01/08/2021

Running:

Kernel: 5.4.0-74-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6
wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal

I have tried the Desktop Video 12 .deb packages that were included in the download and have also created my own version using the "other" folder in the download. Neither worked. When I open the "Desktop video setup" program it does not see the UltraStudio Monitor device.

My Laptop is a dual boot machine with Windows 10 as an alternative OS. Here everything works and I can run the UltraStudio Monitor. This seems to indicate that the Thunderbolt interface is working as it should.

When I enter the below commands in the console I get outputs that seem to indicate that the driver has been installed and is seeing the UltraStudio device:

semir@EliteBook-850-Mint:~$ lsmod | grep blackmagic
blackmagic_io 1908736 2

semir@EliteBook-850-Mint:~$ lspci | grep Blackmagic
07:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Blackmagic Design Device a154

I do, however get this error when doing modprobe:
semir@EliteBook-850-Mint:~$ sudo modprobe blackmagic[-io]
[sudo] password for semir:
modprobe: FATAL: Module blackmagic[-io] not found in directory /lib/modules/5.4.0-74-generic

I am now running our of ideas on how to solve this and would appreciate a hint on where I should look.

Cheers

Semir

Return to Getting Started