What does the hardware DO?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

GalinMcMahon

What does the hardware DO?

PostTue Jul 13, 2021 2:28 am

I've been shopping around for editing solutions and want to stick with Blackmagic. However, the site goes into great detail about the specs of their products and how much faster and bigger and brighter they make things. But what the site doesn't do is tell what the product actually does. Like top level. I've been researching an untrastudio and I know it can do 12 bit 4:2:2 and has multiple inputs but nowhere does the site say why I need this or what it will do for me. There are plenty of decks that I'm sure people who use decks know everything about but again, what benefit will I get from buying these decks other than getting 12 sdi outputs, an 8k 4" monitor and single rack form factor. But yeah, what does it DO?
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

adamroberts

Re: What does the hardware DO?

PostTue Jul 13, 2021 4:53 pm

The UltraStudio range are "Capture and Playback" devices. That's what they are used for. You use them to capture video from various sources and/or output video to various devices (monitors, recorders, broadcast and test equipment).

Decks are used for recording. Just like old video decks.

adamroberts

Re: What does the hardware DO?

PostTue Jul 13, 2021 4:57 pm

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products

On that page, each product has a short intro that says exactly what the product does. For example:
UltraStudio HD Mini
All in one HD capture and playback in a compact 1/3rd rack width design. Powers from Thunderbolt 3 and includes deck control and reference. Supports 3G‑SDI and HDMI, plus upgradable

Return to Getting Started