International warranty and B&H Reply

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Dinesh

International warranty and B&H Reply

PostTue Jul 13, 2021 6:12 pm

Hello Blackmagic support,
I have read a multiple times on these forums that Blackmagic cameras come with international warranty which is honoured in any region. I had a conversation with the B&H support team in the US and they sent me this reply:

"The Blackmagic warranty is regional. If the camera is purchased through us (that means B&H) the 1 year warranty is for the US only. It does not come with an international warranty.."

Please clarify the following:
1) I want to buy the 6KPro in the US and will use it primarily in India. In this case, will the warranty work in India if there is something wrong with the camera and requires a replacement?
2) Shall I still buy the camera from B&H?
2) Which is the best reseller/ camera store in California to buy Blackmagic products?
thank you,
Dinesh.

SpiderKenny

Re: International warranty and B&H Reply

PostThu Jul 15, 2021 9:30 am

You probably won't get a reply from BMD here.
This is a peer-to-peer user forum, no gaurantee anyone from BMD will even look in here.

Dinesh

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 1:38 pm

SpiderKenny wrote:You probably won't get a reply from BMD here.
This is a peer-to-peer user forum, no gaurantee anyone from BMD will even look in here.

Thank you. Whom should I approach?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 2:34 am

BMD will honor the warranty.
For RMA service, the local distributor will likely impose an admin fee to get it exchange or service. This is to cover the taxes payment for the unit or other costs.

Alternatively you can send to the local BMD support office, in this case Singapore, and pay the freight and other charges both ways for service. Contact your local support office first and arrange the RMA prior to sending.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 9:47 am

You better buy it locally. Then no duty and easier when you have to return it for warranty or repair..

As far as i know only in europe BMD offers 2 years of warranty due to the Law that manufacturers MUST give 2 years of warranty on there products..

The rest of the world is just 1 year of warranty..

Keep in mind that if you buy it from far away. Often the only way for a warranty claim is also send it back to the same dealer far away.. With all Duty, tax etc involved.. :?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Videobegin

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 6:26 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:As far as i know only in europe BMD offers 2 years of warranty due to the Law that manufacturers MUST give 2 years of warranty on there products..
And some nice reseller add one year more : a good exemple 8-)

Dinesh

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 4:15 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:BMD will honor the warranty.
For RMA service, the local distributor will likely impose an admin fee to get it exchange or service. This is to cover the taxes payment for the unit or other costs.

Alternatively you can send to the local BMD support office, in this case Singapore, and pay the freight and other charges both ways for service. Contact your local support office first and arrange the RMA prior to sending.

Thank you for the reply. The problem is that the Singapore route is quite costly. Would you advise buying it from the US (B&H) with an additional 3 year AllState Insurance?

Dinesh

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 4:18 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:You better buy it locally. Then no duty and easier when you have to return it for warranty or repair..

As far as i know only in europe BMD offers 2 years of warranty due to the Law that manufacturers MUST give 2 years of warranty on there products..

The rest of the world is just 1 year of warranty..

Keep in mind that if you buy it from far away. Often the only way for a warranty claim is also send it back to the same dealer far away.. With all Duty, tax etc involved.. :?

Thank you and yes this is exactly the case. But, my family travels every 3 months to the US and spends time there. In this case, won't it be a good idea to buy it in the US?

Dinesh

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 4:22 pm

Dinesh wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:BMD will honor the warranty.

Thank you for the reply. The problem is that the Singapore route is actually quite costly. Would you advise buying it from the US (B&H) with an additional 3 year AllState Insurance?

My family travels to the US every 3 months and the camera can also travel with us in case I run into problems. I am in love with Blackmagic philosophy and of course their products which are noteworthy for what they offer. But, all these reports of the new 6Kpro failing have got me worried.

Videobegin

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 6:25 pm

Imagine you buy a good : you pay taxes.
As you are farsighted, you ask for a taxes certificate as we do when we travel with cams, just to not pay again when coming back to home.
Your family can deliver good to reseller. Nice... but as reseller send it back to BMD, do your family plan to stay a month or more abroad ? If not, you will pay again taxes when reseller ship it back.

With customs trying to win a little may cost a lot after. Keep things simple ;)

Don't forget also that good relations with local reseller can save your ass if failure come during a production. :lol:

Dinesh

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 9:47 am

Videobegin wrote:Imagine you buy a good : you pay taxes.
As you are farsighted, you ask for a taxes certificate as we do when we travel with cams, just to not pay again when coming back to home.
Your family can deliver good to reseller. Nice... but as reseller send it back to BMD, do your family plan to stay a month or more abroad ? If not, you will pay again taxes when reseller ship it back.

With customs trying to win a little may cost a lot after. Keep things simple ;)

Don't forget also that good relations with local reseller can save your ass if failure come during a production. :lol:

The trouble is if a Blackmagic camera fails in India, it takes months to get it repaired. It's a long route until it reaches Singapore.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 12:37 pm

Sending it out to USA +/- 1,5 week.
USA sending it to Singapore + 1 week
Singapore repairing it +1,5 / 2 weeks
Return to USA +1 week
Return to you +/- 1,5 week!!!

Tax and duty extra spend +300 dollars :(

Are you still sure its better to buy it from the USA?? :lol: :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started